Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Direct Debit Debacle who else is having problems?

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
This is a post I have posted on 'Ask The Club' - anyone else having problems with di:down:rect Debits?:down:

It now seems a lifetime since i first visited the Amex & booked my season ticket, but ....

why has my direct debit not been set up yet?

why am i receiving threatening letters from Paul McGowan - Ticket office manager - stating my bank has returned payment? why are you saying 'payment of the total amount must be made using alternative means no later than 5 days prior to the next home game'..... but sending the letter 2 days before the next home game?

Why are you threatening to not activate my smartcard to gain entry?

why are you threatening to cancel my Season ticket?

I think you will find it is your fault not mine, YOU have not set up the Direct Debit correctly, despite my many personal visits to the ticket office, being told 'everything is fine, it won't happen again'.

Get your act together, you are starting to p**s me off, you managed to get my sons debit correct & we signed up at the same time using the same account, should i hold my breath for an apology, more importantly sorting out your breach of contract?

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I got a letter today aswell. Every payment has been fine until this one apparently, utter bemusement when I got this through. Glad to see I'm not the only one then...

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Some goon,after the presentation,managed to put my sort code through as ##-03-## instead of ##-63-## but got my Grandsons D.D.details correct(I am paying for his ticket out of the same account).
Despite repeated calls to the ticket office involving me making card payments and an often repeated assurance they have corrected the sort code I have no faith that my visit to the Falmer ticket office 3 weeks ago was not a total waste of petrol and time.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
They messed up my sort code and it took a couple of months to get it right but surely they should have sorted these problems out by now

D

Deleted User X18H

This is a post I have posted on 'Ask The Club' - anyone else having problems with di:down:rect Debits?:down:

It now seems a lifetime since i first visited the Amex & booked my season ticket, but ....

why has my direct debit not been set up yet?

why am i receiving threatening letters from Paul McGowan - Ticket office manager - stating my bank has returned payment? why are you saying 'payment of the total amount must be made using alternative means no later than 5 days prior to the next home game'..... but sending the letter 2 days before the next home game?

Why are you threatening to not activate my smartcard to gain entry?

why are you threatening to cancel my Season ticket?

I think you will find it is your fault not mine, YOU have not set up the Direct Debit correctly, despite my many personal visits to the ticket office, being told 'everything is fine, it won't happen again'.

Get your act together, you are starting to p**s me off, you managed to get my sons debit correct & we signed up at the same time using the same account, should i hold my breath for an apology, more importantly sorting out your breach of contract?

I don't get it. If you know your DD hasn't been set up (correctly) why don't you just contact or go to the ticket office and make a debit or credit card payment.?

I got a letter today aswell. Every payment has been fine until this one apparently, utter bemusement when I got this through. Glad to see I'm not the only one then...

If DD's go out on the first of the month surely you'd have noticed 40 or 50 quid not leaving your account by now?

We have one of the most convenient payment systems for season tickets in the country the club have bent over backwards to make season tickets at Falmer affordable to everyone.

You have to stump up your cash in advance at most clubs.

Let's not knock it eh.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I don't get it. If you know your DD hasn't been set up (correctly) why don't you just contact or go to the ticket office and make a debit or credit card payment.?

If DD's go out on the first of the month surely you'd have noticed 40 or 50 quid not leaving your account by now?

We have one of the most convenient payment systems for season tickets in the country the club have bent over backwards to make season tickets at Falmer affordable to everyone.

Let's not knock it eh.

I don't think anyone is knocking the facility to pay by direct debit. Some people seem to have genuine frustrations though that where a direct debit has been set up incorrectly, trying to get it sorted out either at the shop/over the phone is fruitless. People have been assured everything is ok, and then find out again and again it is not. On top of this they then get threatening letters about payment problems.

Seems a perfectly reasonable complaint.

sammy g

I got the same letter and am having the same problem. The club, as far as my bank is concerned, have never attempted to take money out of my account. I have been doing card payments. Which seems sensible to me but the club are not happy with this. Will ring tomorrow..............again!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Same boat for me.

Because setting up a new one seems to take so long, I've been popping down and paying over the counter every month. I still have to leave it a while though 'just in case' the DD eventually works and I pay twice in a month.

Anyway. I'll head down to the shop tomorrow.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Yep, I got the same letter yesterday.

Completely stupid as the next home game is obviously TOMORROW and if my smart card doesn't let me in I will be kicking off big time.

They've not taken the money, but they can have it. However I won't be able to pay it until I can speak to someone at the club tomorrow. Will that be soon enough to ensure I have no problems getting in to the ground tomorrow?

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph

Let's not knock it eh.

Yes you idiot but as the nice man and me were pointing out-
(1)you notice the money is not going out
(2)you contact the club and discover some twat cant copy a sort code right.
(3)they take your cash from a card and promise that all is right now.
(4)return to step 1,repeat call to premium rate phone line,hold as you are number 15 in a queue,everone else wants a ticket,you want to give money.do this 3 times.
(5) visit ticket office at Falmer
(6) return to step 1

Does that make it easier for you to understand the frustration of the origional poster?

Last edited:

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
I understand your frustration but the tone of your email isnt great! being a bit harsh i think, you are speaking like a customer rather than a fan!

D

Deleted User X18H

Yes you idiot but as the nice man and me were pointing out-
(1)you notice the money is not going out
(2)you contact the club and discover some twat cant copy a sort code right.
(3)they take your cash from a card and promise that all is right now.
(4)return to step 1
(5) visit ticket office at Falmer
(6) return to step 1

Does that make it easier for you to understand the frustration of the origional poster?

Not really. Don't buy it myself, if the payment has gone through by some process or another then I doubt the letter would have been generated. However, if the payment has gone through or not, a post slagging off the ticket office staff and suggesting the club is in breach of contract is so unnecessary.

It's so easy to set up or reinstate a DD.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Not really. Don't buy it myself, if the payment has gone through by some process or another then I doubt the letter would have been generated. However, if the payment has gone through or not, a post slagging off the ticket office staff and suggesting the club is in breach of contract is so unnecessary.

It's so easy to set up or reinstate a DD.

With respect, again you have totally misunderstood the issue - these fans are resetting their direct debits up again and again with the club, but there keeps being a problem despite them being told everything is OK each time.

Actually I suspect it's the same problem I had with sky a while back. They mistakenly cancelled my Direct debit, and everytime I set it up again it failed. Apparantly this was a problem with sky having to use the same reference ( my sky account number ) and the bank being unable to set up a new dd with the same reference as a cancelled one, as their software couldn't handle it. Had to use a different bank account in the end and everything worked like a dream after that.

D

Deleted User X18H

With respect, again you have totally misunderstood the issue - these fans are resetting their direct debits up again and again with the club, but there keeps being a problem despite them being told everything is OK each time.

Actually I suspect it's the same problem I had with sky a while back. They mistakenly cancelled my Direct debit, and everytime I set it up again it failed. Apparantly this was a problem with sky having to use the same reference ( my sky account number ) and the bank being unable to set up a new dd with the same reference as a cancelled one, as their software couldn't handle it. Had to use a different bank account in the end and everything worked like a dream after that.

Still no reason for the tone of the OP. Hang on once set up only the account holder can cancel a DD it's the individuals own account after all.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Still no reason for the tone of the OP. Hang on once set up only the account holder can cancel a DD it's the individuals own account after all.

Sky somehow managed to cancel my direct debit, don't know how they did it - in fact they actually claimed I had done it, but unless I'd blacked out at anytime, it wasn't me. I suppose it could have been a 'bank error' of course.

But I have every sympathy with these posters who've setup direct debits in good faith, repeatedly going through the hassel of reinstating them, only for the direct debit to fail again through no fault of their own. And then to be treated to an aggressive money chasing letter from the club.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Still no reason for the tone of the OP. Hang on once set up only the account holder can cancel a DD it's the individuals own account
after all.
Drunk again? that makes no sense at all.
Try using English next time.

The point the man and I(and others) are trying to make is that despite repeated attempts,and assurances that the club finally understands,some people in the clubs employ can not be trusted to transcribe a sort code correctly.
These errors cause us considerable costs and inconvenience in trying to make the ticket office use the correct account details and still the club blames us!!!!!!.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
Drunk again? that makes no sense at all.
Try using English next time.

The point the man and I(and others) are trying to make is that despite repeated attempts,and assurances that the club finally understands,some people in the clubs employ can not be trusted to transcribe a sort code correctly.
These errors cause us considerable costs and inconvenience in trying to make the ticket office use the correct account details and still the club blames us!!!!!!.

Exactly, my point, I have argued with the ticket office month after month that they are at fault, it has cost me in time and money to make telephone calls and travel expenses to try and sort out what should be a simple matter. Every time coming away from the ticket office with assurances it would not happen again. In short my season ticket has now cost me more than i signed up for, can anyone be honest and say they can afford additional expenses in these economic times?..... if the can are they offering to pay the difference i and others have had to endure?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here