Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
not quite, it seems to promote a view that players are only for their value, that we want to enhance his value and make more profit. i think we want to benefit from his playing ability.

But they are starting to get the message that he really isn't for sale. That is a huge leap forward

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
300 pages is well worth the unifying nature this thread has had with Albion fans, I've found myself agreeing with Albion posters I had previously blocked and had raging arguments with, giving thumbs up to posters I previously considered absolute tools so I'd like to thank Leeds fans for posting your delusional nonsense on this thread and bringing NSC together in solidarity at a time when it was needed most. Bravo Leeds for doing this online community a solid service.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Nope, lost me again. The monologue you quote is about Hamlet's disappointment with mankind. Like many of his monologues, when you boil it down, it doesn't really matter who on stage he is addressing. He's really addressing the audience. R&G are just stooges. Their casting doesn't change anything about the meaning of the play, nor the speech you quote. Even the joke, such as it is, doesn't depend for meaning on who Hamlet may be addressing. R&G's emptiness as characters and lack of agency was obviously one of the motivations for Stoppard to choose them as suitable characters for his comedy.

You seem to be confusing a soliloquy with a speech to another character. It isn't a monologue but a dialogue, and the fact that it expresses his disillusionment with mankind is irrelevant to the point I am making that the sexual innuendo at the end is completely altered, dramatically if the person addressed is a woman not a man.

You have to savage the text to turn these two old school "fellows" into women. What about the boys will be boys crude word plays on the female vagina?

Guildenstern: On fortunes' cap we are not the very button

Hamlet: Nor the soles of her shoe?

Guildenstern: Neither, my lord

Hamlet: Then you live about her waist, or in the middle of her favour?

Guildenstern: Faith, her privates we.

When he meets them for the very first time he says:

"My excellent good friends. How dost thou, Guildenstern? Ah Rosencrantz - good lads how do ye both?"

Why not go the whole hog in rewriting it and have him say "good ladies how do ye both?"

Then you could change all the times he calls them "sir" (too many to cite).

So that a famous exchange would become:

Rosencrantz: Good my lord, what is your cause of distemper? You do freely bar the door of your own liberty if you deny your griefs to your friend.

Hamlet: Madam, I lack advancement.

It is a laughable. I thought there was "nothing but the text?"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All Brighton have said is that he’s not for sale. There has been no valuation.

Not for sale now certainly, but it's still a very reasonable article. I doubt if many of us think White will be with us for the rest of his career - the expectation/hope is that he will stay at the Albion for a season or two, and assuming he turns out as good as it seems he is going to be will then be sold to a big club (i.e. much bigger than Leeds!) for a much larger fee than we might get for him now.
The speculated figures in the article are not unreasonable - though perhaps a bit on the low side. Forget all the 'He loves Leeds' tripe from theWaccoe twatters - yes, Leeds do want him to improve their chances of staying up, but they also want to snap him up now for a bargain £22M (allegedly) with a view to selling him on for a massive profit in two or three years time.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
You seem to be confusing a soliloquy with a speech to another character. It isn't a monologue but a dialogue, and the fact that it expresses his disillusionment with mankind is irrelevant to the point I am making that the sexual innuendo at the end is completely altered, dramatically if the person addressed is a woman not a man.

You have to savage the text to turn these two old school "fellows" into women. What about the boys will be boys crude word plays on the female vagina?

Guildenstern: On fortunes' cap we are not the very button

Hamlet: Nor the soles of her shoe?

Guildenstern: Neither, my lord

Hamlet: Then you live about her waist, or in the middle of her favour?

Guildenstern: Faith, her privates we.

When he meets them for the very first time he says:

"My excellent good friends. How dost thou, Guildenstern? Ah Rosencrantz - good lads how do ye both?"

Why not go the whole hog in rewriting it and have him say "good ladies how do ye both?"

Then you could change all the times he calls them "sir" (too many to cite).

So that a famous exchange would become:

Rosencrantz: Good my lord, what is your cause of distemper? You do freely bar the door of your own liberty if you deny your griefs to your friend.

Hamlet: Madam, I lack advancement.

It is a laughable. I thought there was "nothing but the text?"

How long did you spend on Google researching 'Responses to online arguments about Hamlet'?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not for sale now certainly, but it's still a very reasonable article. I doubt if many of us think White will be with us for the rest of his career - the expectation/hope is that he will stay at the Albion for a season or two, and assuming he turns out as good as it seems he is going to be will then be sold to a big club (i.e. much bigger than Leeds!) for a much larger fee than we might get for him now.
The speculated figures in the article are not unreasonable - though perhaps a bit on the low side. Forget all the 'He loves Leeds' tripe from theWaccoe twatters - yes, Leeds do want him to improve their chances of staying up, but they also want to snap him up now for a bargain £22M (allegedly) with a view to selling him on for a massive profit in two or three years time.

Every time there is speculation on his value, there are accusations of Brighton being greedy money grabbers.
Brighton has acted with class and dignity throughout and politely said, he’s not for sale.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
How long did you spend on Google researching 'Responses to online arguments about Hamlet'?

Killer Bore is getting worse by the day trying to derail this thread with his tripe. Can't help feeling a little break from us might help him/her to return to reality.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Entertaining self-deceit from LeedsLive talking about their pursuit of Brighton’s Ben White:

They (new signings) are going to need time. When has Bielsa ever thrown a new face into immediate battle?”

The answer of course is Ben White who was thrown straight in to the Leeds line-up for the start of last season and played every game.

Short (confused) memories

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

I spent two years of my life studying Hamlet in the Sixth Form and very enjoyable it was too. It is a play I know back to front, although obviously I have to look up exact quotations as my memory is not what it was. I can still recite great chunks of it though, and silently speak the character's lines before they do in the theatre. I studied it before Google was invented, that is why I know it so well, perhaps.

And that was my earlier point. It is an inexhaustible source of pleasure which lasts a whole lifetime. Why don't (many) bog standard comprehensives seem capable of teaching to the same depth, nowadays? Or rather, why don't the A Level exams demand it?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I spent two years of my life studying Hamlet in the Sixth Form and very enjoyable it was too. It is a play I know back to front, although obviously I have to look up exact quotations as my memory is not what it was. I can still recite great chunks of it though, and silently speak the character's lines before they do in the theatre. I studied it before Google was invented, that is why I know it so well, perhaps.

And that was my earlier point. It is an inexhaustible source of pleasure which lasts a whole lifetime. Why don't (many) bog standard comprehensives seem capable of teaching to the same depth, nowadays? Or rather, why don't the A Level exams demand it?

:ffsparr:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Now is all that matters in terms of leeds. He is not for sale now and Brighton plan to continue his development and enjoy his performances in the 1st team. Sometime in the future, once he has fulfilled his potential he may move on to one of the top clubs and Brighton will be paid accordingly. Leeds don’t feature anywhere in the plan, that’s all. I think I’m agreeing with you by the way.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Every time there is speculation on his value, there are accusations of Brighton being greedy money grabbers.
Brighton has acted with class and dignity throughout and politely said, he’s not for sale.

Not denying any of that, but do you seriously think it has never occurred to Tony Bloom that he could double the money we get for White if we hang on to him for a year or two (along with having the benefit of him playing for us in that time)?

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!

But what about Bielsa, has he signed yet?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I thought there was "nothing but the text?"

No 'The play's the thing.'

Enjoy the play. If you don't like some of a director's choices, then don't like them. It doesn't necessarily ruin the rest of a production if you still keep an open mind. However, admit to yourself that it was because of your gut reaction to having women in the roles. We all have to accept and understand our own prejudices if we are to respond to them in a positive way.

Don't waste your time looking up quotes that allow you to reverse engineer a reason to have been outraged. It's not convincing and just makes you look like someone who just refuses to accept other viewpoints. A bit like football fans desperately combing the internet, trying to find reasons why the words 'He's not for sale' do not really mean 'He's not for sale.'

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Why are you trying to derail this thread with this ****ing nonsense? The title of the thread is...."DELUDED LEEDS FANS". Having been schooled about Ben White you appear, in desperation, to be posting shit on Shakespeare. Get a grip. Now tell us again how your (out of contract) manager made our totally unheard of CB the best player in the world. Go on. You know you want to :lol::lol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

How very quaint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here