Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I wish people would stop referring to them as Leeds Utd. It’s “Premier League NEW BOYS Leeds Utd” and they’ve a lot to learn. If they can get to 32 points by mid April, then they’re in with a chance of a second season. But that’s a big if. Odds on them playing in League 1 in 2022/23 probably higher than them staying in PL for three years. Let’s face it, they’re more familiar with that division than PL of late. Bless ‘em, the excitement of playing with established elite clubs like us, Chelsea, Burnley, Man U, Soton and West H, its making them go all giddy. It’ll soon wear off when they’re trounced every week as newly promoted clubs tend to be. Especially when their best players are recalled by their real clubs: and they simply can’t get close to the asking price. Shame.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I wish people would stop referring to them as Leeds Utd. It’s “Premier League NEW BOYS Leeds Utd 2007” and they’ve a lot to learn. If they can get to 32 points by mid April, then they’re in with a chance of a second season. But that’s a big if. Odds on them playing in League 1 in 2022/23 probably higher than them staying in PL for three years. Let’s face it, they’re more familiar with that division than PL of late. Bless ‘em, the excitement of playing with established elite clubs like us, Chelsea, Burnley, Man U, Soton and West H, its making them go all giddy. It’ll soon wear off when they’re trounced every week as newly promoted clubs tend to be. Especially when their best players are recalled by their real clubs: and they simply can’t get close to the asking price. Shame.

thats more technically correct.

Their first time in the top division too, not bad for a 13 year old club.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
King Lear. It's from when Kent is slagging off Goneril's Steward after the latter has insulted the king.

To be honest, I've never really understood what is really meant when etymologists say that words or phrases are invented by Shakespeare. Yes, the poetic lines, but simple words and phrases? My understanding is that their process is to look for the earliest printed usage and give credit to the author for inventing the word or idiom. If this is right, it's perhaps a bit dismissive of the oral tradition. I also wonder why any playwright would use so much invented language and risk alienating a listening audience. It seems more likely to me that most of the words he's credited with inventing were in common usage, but were written down first by him or survive because his works do.

This is not to denigrate Shakespeare, but quite the opposite. If my assumption is correct, I see him as one of the only writers of his time to adopt the parlance of the common man and that's why his language is so rich. He was using words that were perhaps common on the street, but that other writers did not consider to be acceptable vernacular for the stage. This suggests a picture of someone that is completely at odds with the 'he must have been a nobleman' conspiracy theory that developed centuries after his death. If my assumption is correct, it is less likely that a noble would be conversant with the common slang of the day.

It's my guess that Shakespeare was dismissed by pompous Tudor/Stuart conservatives as a woke poet who's trendy now, but likely to be forgotten within a few years: The self congratulating and utterly incurious Michael Gove view of culture.

Colour/gender etc. blind casting seems to be the best way to go for drama. It's fairly silly for anyone to get upset that someone who is ultimately playing dress up isn't actually real and ensuring that real world performers have equal opportunity seems far more desirable than pandering to people who struggle to suspend their disbelief. Actors should be supported to bring whatever they have to a piece without fear of exclusion. The adaptability of Shakespeare is one of its greatest strengths. The more interpretations, the better.

Somewhat later in derivation but to paraphrase Sir Walter Scott, I like what sailors’ call the cut of your jib

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
You Brighton fans just don’t get it, you don’t understand what a genius Bielsa is! He doesn’t need a contract he’s that kind of guy he bleeds Leeds

#freebenwhite [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

I actually didn’t realise this was satire until I checked who posted it!

That’s how deep the delusion runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
One of the exchanges in the replies.

how’s your transfer window been?

"Sorry for the late reply and it’s been alright we haven’t signed any 1st team players tho"

Seriously, ffs. :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Yer I saw it hehe I tried to explain that we’ve got 16? Out of 18 internationals or u21 internationals in our standard squad and we finished 15th they live in a dream world absolute morons

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
My son is 13 and at a decent, but very mixed state school in Sheffield. They've already done Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet. Including a local theatre company coming to the school and performing both. He's looking forward to studying Othello as the teacher said that was her favourite Shakespeare play, so he started researching it. Because she's a good teacher and he loved the previous plays.

Like everything else you say, the idea that Shakespeare isn't taught properly to kids these days is utter RUBBISH.

You really know absolutely **** all. Flowery language does not cover up ignorance of basic facts. In fact, it just exposes how stupid you really are.

We can only talk to our own experience.

I went to a bog standard comprehensive school in the 70's and studied Macbeth, Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merchant of Venice, Henry IV Part One, Othello and Hamlet in full and in great depth.

My son, who went to a (non fee paying) Grammar School studied Macbeth and Othello and part of Romeo and Juliet. He studied no Chaucer, and wasn't offered Latin as an option. When we were playing charades at Christmas it became clear that he didn't know Coriolanus is a play.

His school was much better than mine, but the curriculum wasn't.

The irony is that he went to Oxford to study French. There of course the teaching is superb but they have to start from scratch with literature. My French A Level involved the study of L'Etranger, Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, Candide, Rhinoceros and Le Grand Meaulnes all in full and in depth. His French A Level had no literature to speak of at all! He had to bone up on a bit of Ionesco and Camus for the interview. They were rather surprised he had even read that, that is how low their expectations of A Level are.

His French is way way better and his knowledge of French literature is now fantastic and far surpasses mine. But O and A Level literature is a joke compared to how it used to be. And it isn't the schools, his school was very good. It is the exam boards and the system itself.

The decline is hardly likely to have been improved by this year's fiasco btw. Where you don't even have to take an exam you just get whatever grade the teacher thinks you deserve. Meaning the number of A star and A grades have increased by 38% year on year...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here