Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
Anyone been to Crete in mid October
What's the weather like
Any good hotel recommendations 4 or 5 star
all inclusive between Heraklion and Malia on north coast

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
One regular poster lived on Crete for ages, returning to live in his home town when the Amex opened. I hope he is on here soon because he can answer the question better than anyone.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Autumn in Crete can be very warm, it was 28 degrees for most of November last year but that was unusual, better than spring which can be rainy. between Heraklion and Malia must be Hersonissos. I lived on Crete many years ago so it has changed a lot since then, but back in the day Agios Nickolaos was THE place, Elounda was very small and quiet but now very up market, Malia was a village and no where near the amount of bars that are there now.
There are some very good all inclusives going west between Herakllion and Chania, the west of Crete is very nice if you want it very quiet and still in the 60's go to the south coast. all in all a fantastic island, one of my favourites except Malia.
Try Raki, but not Retsina, i generally found the food on Crete (from tavernas) not as good as other Greek Islands, but it has probably improved and you will be ok in your all inclusive, but do try local places too, if you are lucky you will find one that serves it in under 3 hours and it may even be nearly hot.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Anyone been to Crete in mid October
What's the weather like
Any good hotel recommendations 4 or 5 star
all inclusive between Heraklion and Malia on north coast
As Lincoln Imp knows, I lived in Crete for three years, returning in time for the Amex opening.

Once you're into October, the weather starts to break up – eg I moved in on the 23rd, and it was howling gales and torrential rain, but with hot sunshine the next morning. And that warmth is a real bonus: I distinctly remember swimming and sunbathing on Falasarna beach in north-west Crete on November 25! Brighton Marina it certainly ain't!

So, honest advice for October is to take your chance and don't be too disappointed if it's not sunny all the way, especially after the middle of the month.

As for hotels, many of them begin to close during October. But, given the current state of the Greek economy, you'll be made very welcome indeed at the ones that do stay open, and can expect some real bargains. I've only ever driven through Malia (as quickly as possible) and strongly suspect that it rapidly becomes a ghost town well before the end of October.

You'll get more choice in Heraklion and Rethymno, But Chania is a much more picturesque city. Further east, Ag Nikolaos is a very attractive, more upmarket town, with excellent beaches nearby.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I went to Malia in October
Weather lovely very warm but it does get dark by 6pm
Not a bad thing if your an ugly bastard trying to pull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here