Faversham

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Watched episode one a few days ago.

What a load of twoddle.

Completely scripted but filmed to make it seem like it's all off the cuff.
Not seen this series yet BUT .... it doesn't matter how 'scripted' this or previous series' it might be (or what an arse JC might be), it has done more to highlight the plight of farmers and how hard they have to work for a salary that most people on here wouldn't even get out of bed for than any government minister responsible for farming, the NFU or the MSM. Just remember that next time you're complaining your cheap carrots from the supermarket have gone up a whole 2p a pound.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not a big fan of Clarkson but love this. It is a real eye opener on farming and how much they have to contend with financially, regulations, health and safety, extreme weather, big unexpected bills.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Brilliant show, really puts light on the life of farmers even if Clarkson clearly isn’t in the same boat as them

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm not a big fan of Clarkson but love this. It is a real eye opener on farming and how much they have to contend with financially, regulations, health and safety, extreme weather, big unexpected bills.
Also highlights how petty and spiteful some local councils can be (although Clarkson doesn't help himself in this regard)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really looking forward to this, I loved S1 and S2. As others have mentioned, it is a genuine eye-opener on farming and the bewildering number of challenges they have to navigate to try and make a living. Clarkson plays the buffoon, but there's no denying his passion for it. One of the best shows on TV.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not seen this series yet BUT .... it doesn't matter how 'scripted' this or previous series' it might be (or what an arse JC might be), it has done more to highlight the plight of farmers and how hard they have to work for a salary that most people on here wouldn't even get out of bed for than any government minister responsible for farming, the NFU or the MSM. Just remember that next time you're complaining your cheap carrots from the supermarket have gone up a whole 2p a pound.
A reality that gets them supporting a badger cull when all the evidence shows that bad farming practise is to blame. A reality where foxes are shot because they MIGHT do some harm ( estimates are a 2-4% impact on lambs). A reality where they supplement income by supporting fox hunts and bird shoots (the former is cruel the latter does a lot of ecological damage).

I don't have an issue paying the true economic price for products but they will get no sympathy from me until they change their mindset i.e. townies know f*ck all about the countryside and we know best .

As for that gobshite Clarkson he is just another look at me Katie Hopkins type making outlandish statements to draw attention (earn more money).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A reality that gets them supporting a badger cull when all the evidence shows that bad farming practise is to blame. A reality where foxes are shot because they MIGHT do some harm ( estimates are a 2-4% impact on lambs). A reality where they supplement income by supporting fox hunts and bird shoots (the former is cruel the latter does a lot of ecological damage).

I don't have an issue paying the true economic price for products but they will get no sympathy from me until they change their mindset i.e. townies know f*ck all about the countryside and we know best .

As for that gobshite Clarkson he is just another look at me Katie Hopkins type making outlandish statements to draw attention (earn more money).
Precisely. How anyone can watch anything he makes these days is beyond me. A self-centred bullying little shit. Maverick opinions that are 'independent' of the political mainstream, underpinned by random decisions made while pissed. I though we'd move on from the Lad Mag era. Oh well. Never mind.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I’m not sure it’s scripted, it’s just Clarkson having a go at farming and occasionally coming up with some good ideas but most of the time doing something ridiculously stupid and annoying his employees, the health and safety guy and the local council in no particular order. He obviously cares for the animals on his farm and has helped to promote farming in an amusing way.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I say this as someone who has a couple of farmers in the family.

The reality is that a vast majority of farmers do not support a badger cull - most would prefer to inject their cattle to stop the spread of TB but DEFRA won't allow it. Most don't support fox hunting or even allow hunts across their land. I have seen the destruction a fox can do to lambs and chickens ( and even deer calf ). I have no issue farmers shooting them to defend their livestock. One of the farmers in my family that farmed meat probably shot around six foxes a year and then generally only during lambing season.

A vast majority of farmers supplement their income by using wildlife schemes such as being paid to repair or replant hedgerow - or even leave parts of their farm fallow.

One thing you are correct on though - most townies know eff all about farming and the difficulties ( e.g. you ) but at least Clarkson's farm is highlighting those issues regardless of if you like him or not ( clearly not in your case ).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not sure it’s scripted, it’s just Clarkson having a go at farming and occasionally coming up with some good ideas but most of the time doing something ridiculously stupid and annoying his employees, the health and safety guy and the local council in no particular order. He obviously cares for the animals on his farm and has helped to promote farming in an amusing way.
If he has promoted farming, how do we measure the outcome? What are the benefits he has created?

Or is this like promoting LGBT+, i.e., making people aware of it and aware that it's OK?

People are now aware of farming and recognize that it's OK? Hooray!

Does this mean Clarkson deserves a knighthood, or even a peerage, for services to farming?

And I sneer this as someone who, at the time, very much enjoyed Top Gear, even the way Clarkson bullied the faux hippy and the tiny man (who, let's be honest, deserved it. And they were paid very well). Clarkson wrote the liner notes for a Caravan (the band) CD of mine. But it all.....eventually.....went wrong.

And now he's a farmer. Oh well. Never mind.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I'm not a fan of him either, especially his unruly eyebrows, however I like the young farmer lad regularly telling him he is useless, often in a more direct manner. Whether it's a scripted name calling or not, it gives me insurmountable pleasure.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If he has promoted farming, how do we measure the outcome? What are the benefits he has created?

Or is this like promoting LGBT+, i.e., making people aware of it and aware that it's OK?

People are now aware of farming and recognize that it's OK? Hooray!

Does this mean Clarkson deserves a knighthood, or even a peerage, for services to farming?

And I sneer this as someone who, at the time, very much enjoyed Top Gear, even the way Clarkson bullied the faux hippy and the tiny man (who, let's be honest, deserved it. And they were paid very well). Clarkson wrote the liner notes for a Caravan (the band) CD of mine. But it all.....eventually.....went wrong.

And now he's a farmer. Oh well. Never mind.
Is he a Farmer ?? Don`t think so. I`d call him, A rich Land owning TV Presenter. Good at his job ..sees the attraction of being seen as a good samaritan for farmers whilst stirring up locals and councillors etc which makes good telly watching.

Reactions: abc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports