Claridge's opinion on Poyet

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
From BBC; probably fixtures but hey-ho.

What do you think of the appointment of Gus Poyet and Mauricio Taricco at Brighton? Do you think they can take us to the Championship by the time the new stadium is ready in 2011?
Joseph Westwood, England

It is very difficult to answer whether Poyet will work out at Brighton - quite simply because he has not been a manager before.

I'm not saying it will or won't work out for him - but what I do know is that he is in a great position. It is an absolutely fantastic time to take over at what I think is a very, very good club.

Watch Poyet's Brighton win his first game in charge at Southampton

There is a relatively new chairman at Brighton and the new stadium at Falmer is finally being built. The timing of Poyet's move into management is ultra-important and he has got that spot on by taking over at Brighton.

Brighton have an excellent catchment area and I really think that potentially they could really take off in the near future. When they move to the new stadium it will be a great place to play football.

I wasn't particularly surprised that Brighton choose to appoint somebody like Poyet. Micky Adams and Russell Slade both had a spell as manager but it did not work out for them.

The Seagulls have now opted for somebody with everything to prove and I am in favour of that. I want to see new people being given a chance.

Poyet always comes across as bubbly and enthusiastic - and that is the behaviour of a typical number two, not a manager. It will be interesting to see whether he makes the transition.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All fair points, and Claridge is reasonably generous to the club.

But Gus Poyet :)love:) is the most sophisticated, finest manager this soccerball club could ever have appointed. He's a dreamboat and we keep winning and stuff. I *heart* him. :love: :love: :love: :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports