Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood - Any good or just a lump?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Is it just me or is Chris Wood just a bit of a lump? Having watched him all season thought today summed him up, no first touch, slow, doesn't win enough in the air and misses too many chances (accept pens - respect for that). He had a free header a start of the second half from a Nooney cross and didn't even connect with it. Am I the only one thinking that he will be no way good enough next year or am I being a bit harsh? Gus obviously rates him.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Is it just me or is Chris Wood just a bit of a lump? Having watched him all season thought today summed him up, no first touch, slow, doesn't win enough in the air and misses too many chances (accept pens - respect for that). He had a free header a start of the second half from a Nooney cross and didn't even connect with it. Am I the only one thinking that he will be no way good enough next year or am I being a bit harsh? Gus obviously rates him.

Nope - not just you. He's had a couple of decent games but I've never taken to him at all. He was poor today and seemed to take 20 minutes to get up to speed with the game.

Really can't imagine him playing in a Premiership team next season (if West Brom stay up) and I don't think I'd want him playing for us in the Championship either. Barnes didn't do much when he came on either, but I'd far rather have him in the side than Wood.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very good looking...I mean...erm....a good player. :whistle:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't impress last week at Rochdale , he only seems to shine one game at a time. Personally I don't think he'll be here next season as WBA will loan him out to another club rather than releasing him on a free.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
He wants too much time and needs too many touches, that makes it easier to defend against. Clearly not good enough for championship..........but can take a penalty

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Most of the penalties given next season will be against us if we don't adapt to the next level.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jesus, he's only 19. If we had a player come up from our youth team who'd contributed what Wood has done at only 19 years of age, we'd be demanding he be tied down to a long contract and putting a decent price on his head.

Because of his size, it's easy to forget he's only a kid in footballing terms. He's done a decent job for us this season, surprising most of us. Give him a break!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Jesus, he's only 19. If we had a player come up from our youth team who'd contributed what Wood has done at only 19 years of age, we'd be demanding he be tied down to a long contract and putting a decent price on his head.

Because of his size, it's easy to forget he's only a kid in footballing terms. He's done a decent job for us this season, surprising most of us. Give him a break!

Totally agree. :)

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom

see what you're saying and i'm not sure of his history but even though he's 'only 19' he has probably been playing at a high level for a few years.

i don't think anyone is expecting him to be great but there is alot of basic stuff he doesn't seem to be able to do. Poor close control, doesn't win anything in the air, poor finishing...

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Just a lump, at the start of the season everyone was panning Barnes for missing chance after chance, now Wood is doing exactly the same, age and international experience don't matter if you can't hit the proverbial cow's arse with a musical instrument...

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Thought he was awful, then thought he was good, now I am back to awful. He is an Ok squad player but would not want us to pay a transfer fee for him - season loan? maybe but think we could get better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Another in total agreement. People can't complain because we're winning games and very near promotion so let's get picky about some of the players. :shootself

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I'm with you on that

I think he could well be with us next season but I do believe we need one additional clinical striker - we create too many chances for the goal return we currently achieve

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

I would give him a break if he was the only option but he always seems to start and Ash warms the bench. His first touch throughout the first half was rubbish, we had 10 excellent performers on the pitch and he wasn't one of them. Barnesy must've been seething.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Didn't have a great game today ,however he does offer us something different and i think he will be with us next season,although i would not spend a fortune on him .Gus is already showing that he can improve players,and here is one !

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
He rinsed WORLD player of the year Cannavaro a couple of times at the World Cup. But all you lot that spunk in your Y's over players like Revell know better!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
20 starts, 9 goals. We have only lost twice in his 24 appearances. He wasn't great today, but has surely shown that he works well with Murray. Totally agree with Edna. He is 19, he has 30 starts to his name and he is far from being a useless lump. Some people are painting a picture of him being a passenger. Would we really be top of the league if one of our strikers was a useless lump and a passenger? I like him and think he would be an excellent acquisition.

Gus seems to be quite keen on him - perhaps some of us are in a better position to judge Wood?

Last edited:

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
He has had the effect of making me value Barnes more.

Have to agree. I personally see Wood as a similar type of player to Murray though. But the difference in touch, Holding up the ball, winning headers and finishing is vast. He is only 19, so possibly Muzza could help bring the lad along. As others have mentioned however , I would not like to see us part with cash for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here