Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Central Heating question

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It is a combi boiler...quite a new one I think...not sure about anything else. We are having a second viewing next week.

Find the power rating for the boiler and count the number of radiators. Probably be fine but if the boiler is right at limit for output there may be trouble ahead.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This guy should be able to help.
df0e0aa8409228a954fe986ea4c40945.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Up North?
Labour, radiator,pipe, valves and fittings all included?

Yup.

Update.. job was move radiator in one room to a different wall and install new radiator in loft. Cost of labour (inc pipes etc) £190. Son-in-law had already bought the radiator.

Still not bad.

Last edited:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Yup.

Update.. job was move radiator in one room to a different wall and install new radiator in loft. Cost of labour (inc pipes etc) £190. Son-in-law had already bought the radiator.

Still not bad.

Seems a good deal, but lets break it down a bit.

We'll assume valve's included, the rads are already carried into the relevant rooms (1500x600 T22 - " It's there in the hall mate, couldn't carry it up stairs to the loft myself" and he's not VAT registered and not cash in hand..

Material's inc pipe, fittings - £30, leaves £160
Directly on that job she/he will be taxed/NI (£35) van fuel/parking etc (£10) and across their year they've got a % of Public liability insurance, van, van tax, van insurance, tools to use on jobs etc - (£5)

Time on job - Assume combi, and a partial drain down, and refill/vent, moving carpets/wardrobes/beds, lifting and relaying floor boards/T&G Chip boards etc.

So that's £110 across at least 4 hours depending upon awkwardness, push fit or soldering, surface or hidden pipework, plasterboard walls with insulation inside, lathe and plaster walls etc.

Yes, that's a good deal i'd say.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Seems a good deal, but lets break it down a bit.

We'll assume valve's included, the rads are already carried into the relevant rooms (1500x600 T22 - " It's there in the hall mate, couldn't carry it up stairs to the loft myself" and he's not VAT registered and not cash in hand..

Material's inc pipe, fittings - £30, leaves £160
Directly on that job she/he will be taxed/NI (£35) van fuel/parking etc (£10) and across their year they've got a % of Public liability insurance, van, van tax, van insurance, tools to use on jobs etc - (£5)

Time on job - Assume combi, and a partial drain down, and refill/vent, moving carpets/wardrobes/beds, lifting and relaying floor boards/T&G Chip boards etc.

So that's £110 across at least 4 hours depending upon awkwardness, push fit or soldering, surface or hidden pipework, plasterboard walls with insulation inside, lathe and plaster walls etc.

Yes, that's a good deal i'd say.

Using your figures, a 'good deal' gives the plumber £110 for half a day's work, or £200 for a full day (deducting a little for travelling between jobs) - after overheads in your figures are allowed for.
If they work 5 days a week, for 48 weeks a year, they have a net income of £48K (clearly a bit less than that, as time needs to be taken out for the cost of providing estimates, book-keeping etc etc).

And that is at what is considered a cheap rate - previous estimates in this thread were 3, 4 or 5 times that :ohmy:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yup.

Still not bad.

Very cheap

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Using your figures, a 'good deal' gives the plumber £110 for half a day's work, or £200 for a full day (deducting a little for travelling between jobs) - after overheads in your figures are allowed for.
If they work 5 days a week, for 48 weeks a year, they have a net income of £48K (clearly a bit less than that, as time needs to be taken out for the cost of providing estimates, book-keeping etc etc).

And that is at what is considered a cheap rate - previous estimates in this thread were 3, 4 or 5 times that :ohmy:

Not sure i get your point tbh.

I pay people the rate they deserve, for jobs i cant do - e.g recently a conveyancer charged me over a grand to extend my lease. He's also a trained professional, and the worse he could do was screw it up or take a long time over it (he did the latter quite well actually.. :annoyed: ) but at least he didnt spill loads of water over my floor/ruin my heating system.

Assuming the person above didn't either, then he did a good job, that presumably you and the OP cant.

I dont get upset over other peoples earnings, good for them if they've studied and trained do be in that place.

Unless of course your angle is more of a snotty view that 'tradesmen are not worth it' and 'i can do their job by watching a few You Tube videos'

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Not sure i get your point tbh.

I pay people the rate they deserve, for jobs i cant do - e.g recently a conveyancer charged me over a grand to extend my lease. He's also a trained professional, and the worse he could do was screw it up or take a long time over it (he did the latter quite well actually.. :annoyed: ) but at least he didnt spill loads of water over my floor/ruin my heating system.

Assuming the person above didn't either, then he did a good job, that presumably you and the OP cant.

I dont get upset over other peoples earnings, good for them if they've studied and trained do be in that place.

Unless of course your angle is more of a snotty view that 'tradesmen are not worth it' and 'i can do their job by watching a few You Tube videos'
As a skilled tradesman myself, the worst sort of customer is the one that opens with ‘I’ve googled it and...’
Closely followed by ‘my mate reckons’
The amount of total clusterfvcks I’ve walked into because someone has had a go themselves...

Note to customers...it may appear that the mush doing your work doesn’t take long or appears to make it look easy, but that’s probably down to all the years spent in colleges and actually putting the hours in, in the field.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a skilled tradesman myself, the worst sort of customer is the one that opens with ‘I’ve googled it and...’
The amount of total clusterfvcks I’ve walked into because someone has had a go themselves...

Note to customers...it may appear that the mush doing your work doesn’t take long or appears to make it look easy, but that’s probably down to all the years spent in colleges and actually putting the hours in, in the field.

and the fact it's only ever a 5 minute job, in the first place.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Something I keep reminding my mates of when I charge £98 an hour for schools leisure centres, I might only do 2 or 3 jobs for them a month and might only do one job a day and run around looking at jobs doing Bill's the rest of the week earning nothing so it's all relative

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Something I keep reminding my mates of when I charge £98 an hour for schools leisure centres, I might only do 2 or 3 jobs for them a month and might only do one job a day and run around looking at jobs doing Bill's the rest of the week earning nothing so it's all relative

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

You may need to borrow my tin helmet now :ohmy:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

And what are the chances of getting a job in the morning and a similar one that pays the same in the afternoon? It doesn't work that way I'm afraid.

I've done radiator jobs similar to the one [MENTION=3738]GOM[/MENTION] has mentioned, I've had to move furniture and all sorts of other stuff, struggled to find where water shuts off etc, and then had a heating system that has an air lock when filling up.

Point is I've priced jobs to ' just move a radiator ' and spent at least 2 hours doing free work sorting out other stuff mentioned above.

What I should do is say , I will give an hourly rate and see how the job goes :smile:
But we give a price to allow for all the other shite that goes with the job, we can't just go home at 5pm if someone's heating or hot water isn't working.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

It's obvious from your reply that you have extensive experience of the overheads involved in running a small business or being self-employed :glare:

There's this for a start

THE0070.jpg

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
6 years ago we had the conventional boiler and tank removed and replaced with a combi boiler, 1 radiator moved about a metre plus 5 TRV's fitted for £2000. 3 guys turned up and completed the works within the day and the boiler was about 50% of the cost. So adding a new radiator into the dormer shouldn't cost more than £1,000

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

:salute:
Happy Birthday mate.

Your post is spot on.
I priced a bathroom job many years back, the customer said he was happy with the price and when could I start.
Later that day the customer rang and said his builder mate told him I was too expensive and can I drop my price, I said has your mate been round to look at the job and is he a plumber or a builder?
Customer said his builder mate had just asked some plumber on his site about the price. I told the customer to get his mates plumber to do the job if he's cheaper.
Customer said " I like you though but I just want you to drop the price now "
Me - :censored: off :annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here