Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Birmingham Commonwealth Games

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just watched England beat Australia with the last throw in the basketball.

Very tough for England Women though with Canada getting that shot off a split second before the buzzer.

Talk about fine margins. Either way, it's thrilling stuff, even if you don't really follow basketball!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Anyone know why they are playing Jerusalem instead of GSTQ for the English national anthem?

"At the Commonwealth Games, Team England has used "Jerusalem" as the victory anthem since 2010.

The Commonwealth Games Council for England conducted a poll of members of the public which decided the anthem for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

The three options were "God Save the Queen", "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory".

"Jerusalem" was the clear winner with 52% of the vote; "Land of Hope and Glory" received 32% and "God Save the Queen" 12%."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_anthem_of_England

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
"At the Commonwealth Games, Team England has used "Jerusalem" as the victory anthem since 2010.

The Commonwealth Games Council for England conducted a poll of members of the public which decided the anthem for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

The three options were "God Save the Queen", "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory".

"Jerusalem" was the clear winner with 52% of the vote; "Land of Hope and Glory" received 32% and "God Save the Queen" 12%."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_anthem_of_England

Thanks, very interesting. Hope the football teams, men and women, never go the same way.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Still would like to help someone get to the athletics on Friday 5th - evening session. PM if interested!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1554928498015408128[/tweet]

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Did anyone see Eilish McColgan last night. Absolutely thrilling race, she just refused to be beaten, atmosphere was absolutely electric and carried her to the line. Magnificent sporting drama and then to see her mum and coach in the audience who had won the same race at the Commonwealth Games twice before was such a lovely moment.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Did anyone see Eilish McColgan last night. Absolutely thrilling race, she just refused to be beaten, atmosphere was absolutely electric and carried her to the line. Magnificent sporting drama and then to see her mum and coach in the audience who had won the same race at the Commonwealth Games twice before was such a lovely moment.

The way she took it on to raise the pace and then wasn't phased when she was passed in the closing stages - perfect planning and the crowd definitely lifted her! So great to see her mums reaction too. One of a number of great moments from the Commonwealth Games so far - just seen Jamiaca beat the number 1 seeds Australia in netball which wasn't expected and the joy from the team when the buzzer went... thats why I love sport!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Equally impressive was Gina Kennedy winning gold in the women’s squash - amazing athlete and brave attacking squash.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I couldn't help but think when the (presumably mainly English) crowd roared Eilish on to gold that a Scottish crowd would be unlikely to do the same for an English athlete. Am I being unfair?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I couldn't help but think when the (presumably mainly English) crowd roared Eilish on to gold that a Scottish crowd would be unlikely to do the same for an English athlete. Am I being unfair?

I thought the Scot’s hated the English so you are probably right . Perhaps they are jealous English people speak English in a way that is understandable to most people whilst Scottish accents are far harder to understand ?

Edit - obviously Birmingham, Liverpool & Newcastle are the exceptions !

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
All about Maddie Hinch in goal for the hockey penalty shootout.

Unbeatable.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The woman doing the diving expert analysis is absolutely gorgeous

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The woman doing the diving expert analysis is absolutely gorgeous

Tonia couch

50C882A4-7563-46D7-9035-5433285E5167.jpeg

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I thought the Scot’s hated the English so you are probably right . Perhaps they are jealous English people speak English in a way that is understandable to most people whilst Scottish accents are far harder to understand ?

Edit - obviously Birmingham, Liverpool & Newcastle are the exceptions !

More unnecessary Brummie bashing. Scousers and Geordies fair enough.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Can't get my haircut because my barber is currently away competing in the Commonwealth Games!

One of our bowls team actually won a match. Amazing considering she had never bowled on grass before the games and practiced on mats in the school corridor!! (stuck together with tape!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here