Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Best sports shop in Brighton (for hockey stick)?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not been there in a few years, but there was a nice little independent sports shop on Grand Parade just a bit further along from St Peters Church. My mum got me football boots from there years ago.
Was going to be my shout, until I saw this.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Never played hockey until my army days, then giving 18-21 year olds with a competitive edge a baton with a hook on the end was not such a good idea.....there was blood and bad feeling

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I always feel nostalgic when reading these types of threads. Old school sports shops were a joy to behold. C&E in Newhaven I presume is long gone?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I always feel nostalgic when reading these types of threads. Old school sports shops were a joy to behold. C&E in Newhaven I presume is long gone?
Was that the one down by the bridge?
That's the only one I remember in Newhaven (growing up in the 90s), though I remember it more as an outdoor shop than a sport shop. It's not there anymore anyway.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Spoilt for choice… David Rose at 7 Dials, Bakers in London Road, Wisdens in Duke Street, Clapshaw and Cleave, Swifts, - loads of independents in Brighton….. if only it was the 1970s!
Don't forget Sports Corner in Portslade...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was that the one down by the bridge?
That's the only one I remember in Newhaven (growing up in the 90s), though I remember it more as an outdoor shop than a sport shop. It's not there anymore anyway.
Yes. In the early to mid-80s it was a mix of indoor and outdoor. I can definitely remember buying an England tracksuit from there, a tennis racket and darts. It also had a load of camping stuff and in the summer rubber dinghies tied up outside. I had a dinghie but I got it from that huge antique/junk place just up from south road; I did buy an Octopus puncture repair kit from C&E though.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Americans, Canadians and Scandinavians would call this a hockey stick.

1703681873094.png

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
That was my dad’s shop Swift Sports. Sadly my dad retired about 10 years ago!
I’ve still got a pair of Puma King trainers I bought not long before the shop closed down. I wasn’t sure about spending so much but your Dad said that they would last me a long time. Please let him know that he was right and I hope he is enjoying his retirement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here