Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Become an NSC Supporter. If you want. It's entirely optional. No-one has to.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The tag is a bit crass - apologies.

I set it about five months back when I first set some of this up and @Chicken Run and @Goldstone1976 kindly tested it for me. I didn't give it any real thought, other than trying to come up with a football-y kind of term. The very last thing it was supposed to achieve was to make others feel bad. I'll change the wording.

On the more general point, I don't want people giving money to NSC that could be better used elsewhere in their lives. It's really lovely that people would like to support the site, but with the payment processing fee including a fixed fee element, smaller payments just mean giving more money to Paypal - and that feels like a real waste of money.

Maybe the "buy me a coffee" idea suggested would work, although I need to check what the payment processing fee is there too.

A lot of podcast creators use Patreon for regular monthly payments, I don’t know how fees compare to PayPal. There’s also a site literally called buymeacoffee.com which also does the monthly subscription thing as well as one off payments.

Not recommending either, but if you haven’t had a look, might be worthwhile.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Bozza could enable it so the more "flush" members could sponsor one of the "poor", replacing the slogan ***Loyal supporter*** with ***sponsored by username***.
This would increase take up of Bozza's subscription because who would want to see the name of their greatest NSC antagonist (p)wning them each time they logged in. They'd have to subscribe out of fear.

What fun.

Maybe “Site Supporter” would be better wording? 😂

Wording already changed from loyal to site supporter. Surely everyone who posts on site "Supports the Site".

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This needs a rethink.

Great idea in principal but £5 a month is too much for many. That’s more or less my disposable income.
Just over £1 a week, really? You have posted on another thread your Europa Shirt in an expensive frame. I certainly not telling you how or where to spend your money but a fiver a month is not too much.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A lot of podcast creators use Patreon for regular monthly payments, I don’t know how fees compare to PayPal. There’s also a site literally called buymeacoffee.com which also does the monthly subscription thing as well as one off payments.

Not recommending either, but if you haven’t had a look, might be worthwhile.
Yeah, I'm aware of both those.

Xenforo has four payment providers coded into it: Paypal, Stripe and two things I've never heard of before. As they are integral with the Xenforo backend, the whole thing is completely automated. I have to do nothing once I've done some config and turned it on.

As I already had a Paypal account and I know they are highly reputable, I went with that, but it looks like Stripe fees are less, both in terms of the fixed element and the additional percentage, so I'll check that out ASAP.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What would you suggest?
Here is a clue:

1698877327911.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Call them whatever but .... They and you know who they are. Surprised if any want fact advertised.
You may not be spoiling for a fight here, but over the course of your posts, that's how it's coming across.

I'm very appreciative of people who are able and willing to support the site directly. Someone said this to me today...

"It’s heartening though isn’t it - that those people clearly see real value in the site and that it’s worth supporting. From the comments all of them have signed up to support the site rather than for any personal user experience. You should take real pride in that."

...and I guess I do (take some pride). I've spent 23 years keeping this monstrosity alive. Many thousands of hours, more legal threats than I can remember and even threats of physical harm to my family. That other people also feel fond enough of this madhouse to be willing to provide direct support, is lovely. I absolutely know that not everyone can, as well as knowing plenty of people (who have never met me) seem to hate me, and never would help. All of that is absolutely fine, of course.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
@Bozza have sent you a couple of messages - still wanting to donate here! 👍

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
As someone who values older, simpler times… analogue era splendour, the warmth of a hearth side crackle… I tend to cling to the past, like an epitaph on a lichen covered grave… in a long forgotten church yard… at peace, at rest… at last.

Yes, I rather think I’ll remain, and my remains will lie undisturbed unto the breaking of the earth.

Kosh

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You may not be spoiling for a fight here, but over the course of your posts, that's how it's coming across.

I'm very appreciative of people who are able and willing to support the site directly. Someone said this to me today...

"It’s heartening though isn’t it - that those people clearly see real value in the site and that it’s worth supporting. From the comments all of them have signed up to support the site rather than for any personal user experience. You should take real pride in that."

...and I guess I do (take some pride). I've spent 23 years keeping this monstrosity alive. Many thousands of hours, more legal threats than I can remember and even threats of physical harm to my family. That other people also feel fond enough of this madhouse to be willing to provide direct support, is lovely. I absolutely know that not everyone can, as well as knowing plenty of people (who have never met me) seem to hate me, and never would help. All of that is absolutely fine, of course.

Please don’t be dissuaded by whinging at your move today showing who’s financially contributing etc. It’s a neat thing that’ll encourage more members to pay, it’s your baby, why not? I’m also a member of a winter sports forum where many pay, many don’t, paying brings a couple of small benefits and everyone can see who’s in which category … I’ve never seen complaints or accusations of an unfair two-track membership.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Long long overdue in my book. You certainly shouldn’t feel embarrassed to be doing this. A lot of people, myself included, have derived enormous pleasure from this site and it’s all down to you. If this helps the site to continue for longer then that’s great.

You have created a fantastic and pretty unique thing. Feel proud.

That said I do like the Thai girl find love big time ads so please leave those ones on for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here