Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's interesting. My wife's parents, sister, brother-in-law and niece are due to Orlando (Disney et al) in August. We toyed with the idea of going ourselves, but elected to take the kids on our own next year.

That's looking like a good move as it stands. Understandably, they really don't want to go under current circumstances, and have assumed they'll just be entitled to either get their money back or re-book for next year. I'm not sure where they'd stand now, particularly if the idea of the UK's 14 day quarantine is dropped by then. Personally, I think they're going to have to suck it up and go as it is or face losing their money.

Not a nice choice to have to make.

Are they prepared to quarantine in the UK for two weeks on return?

What about effective travel insurance for this August’s trip? The US is the last place anyone would want a medical bill.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

What about effective travel insurance for this August’s trip? The US is the last place anyone would want a medical bill.

Quite simply, they can’t quarantine due to work. I imagine that if the quarantine remains a requirement they’ll be entitled to their money back, as the terms of their travel will be materially different to those under which they booked their holiday.

If the idea of the quarantine is binned off however, it’s a different story. I think this is a major reason airlines want it gone; they’ll at least be freed from refunding every Tom, Dick and Harry who doesn’t feel comfortable with travelling.

Travel insurance, in theory, they already have. It’s a pre-Covid policy, so presumably such illness would be covered. Regardless, I’d be very nervous - as you say, America is the last place you want two spend a few weeks hooked up to a ventilator (not that there are many places I’d fancy it, mind).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Quite simply, they can’t quarantine due to work. I imagine that if the quarantine remains a requirement they’ll be entitled to their money back, as the terms of their travel will be materially different to those under which they booked their holiday.

If the idea of the quarantine is binned off however, it’s a different story. I think this is a major reason airlines want it gone; they’ll at least be freed from refunding every Tom, Dick and Harry who doesn’t feel comfortable with travelling.

Travel insurance, in theory, they already have. It’s a pre-Covid policy, so presumably such illness would be covered. Regardless, I’d be very nervous - as you say, America is the last place you want two spend a few weeks hooked up to a ventilator (not that there are many places I’d fancy it, mind).

If the 14 day is still in place but the holiday is going they won’t be.

I imagine the company would offer them a date change but that’s it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thanks for replying. I’m in a similar position to them, but for this July. Currently in the typical silly stand off phase with Norwegian where they don’t cancel (offer a cash refund), and I don’t cancel otherwise they keep my cash. No way will the NYC flights go ahead, or us be allowed to travel on them and enter the US .... so it’s a waiting game.

It could be worse. A friend who’s not short of a few bob, has 5 UK and overseas holidays booked ... so far just receiving the one refund.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Thanks for replying. I’m in a similar position to them, but for this July. Currently in the typical silly stand off phase with Norwegian where they don’t cancel (offer a cash refund), and I don’t cancel otherwise they keep my cash. No way will the NYC flights go ahead, or us be allowed to travel on them and enter the US .... so it’s a waiting game.

It could be worse. A friend who’s not short of a few bob, has 5 UK and overseas holidays booked ... so far just receiving the one refund.

Norwegian have just laid everyone off at Gatwick as they don’t plan flying again until April.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Norwegian have just laid everyone off at Gatwick as they don’t plan flying again until April.

Sad for the staff.

Thank you, for my circumstances, I didn’t know that. I wonder when they’ll come clean with me that the July flight is cancelled!

Now found this presentation slide of their’s, online!

1304A8D4-9529-4467-8C37-3D3AD29D0F71.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
this has made things interesting - you booked with disney and vhols?

I'd not got round to booking a Summer holiday, although I'd come close several times. We were favouring West Coast over East, so we were unlikely to be in Florida.

Frankly, I think we got lucky due to my procrastination.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I have one of those annual multi trip world travel ins policies type things.
Had an email update on the terms and conditions a while back clarifying anything Covid related will NOT covered in any current or pre-existing policies..... cant say if this is the same for everyone, but it would seem likely.
( crucial to check the wording in the terms and conditions even if the word covid isnt mentioned).

Longing to visit my family in the states as they are to come here too......simply not worth it. The risks of needing urgent medical care in the States with no cover makes any holiday travel there at the moment a game of roulette.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Airlines shares going up big time today - anyone got any idea why? TUI, Easy Jet Lufthansa all up today.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Anyone see Willie Walsh interview?

2 interesting things.

1. legal action against Gov over 14 days

2. Suggesting the Gov have offered no direct support to Airlines.

The second is more of a story than the first.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have one of those annual multi trip world travel ins policies type things.
Had an email update on the terms and conditions a while back clarifying anything Covid related will NOT covered in any current or pre-existing policies..... cant say if this is the same for everyone, but it would seem likely.
( crucial to check the wording in the terms and conditions even if the word covid isnt mentioned).

Longing to visit my family in the states as they are to come here too......simply not worth it. The risks of needing urgent medical care in the States with no cover makes any holiday travel there at the moment a game of roulette.

I guessed that would be the case. No way are UK travel insurers going to finance someone in an ICU ward in a US hospital, for covid19, for a few weeks.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Airlines shares going up big time today - anyone got any idea why? TUI, Easy Jet Lufthansa all up today.
It’s been easy money trading during the pandemic, sell when planes were grounded and buy again at the lows, that’s all that’s happened. Same with oil and practically any stock effected by the lockdown. Tech companies Amazon, Apple, Netflix etc have been keeping the market buoyant during the pandemic explaining why we haven’t had a market crash.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
6F616A51-10D4-46AE-90E7-9B800129CD9A.png

Gov ask airlines to cut costs then come back to ask for support

Airline does that and gets MP laying into them

I’m not supporting all BAs actions, but the buck passing is incredible

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
View attachment 124676

Gov ask airlines to cut costs then come back to ask for support

Airline does that and gets MP laying into them

I’m not supporting all BAs actions, but the buck passing is incredible

They’re backbench MP’s supporting their constituents, they could be from any party, not a government move. These MP’s have been approached by many constituents who work for BA and other airlines, with a cry for help. As you know better than me, there are thousands of BA staff at Gatwick and Heathrow who are on old contracts paying very well. They and their union have been battling BA for decades to protect those lucrative jobs. Their argument now is that BA is using covid19 to rid the payroll of those staff, with those lucky enough to keep their roles being re-engaged on the money paid by Easyjet, Ryanair, Norwegian, Tui. I’m not sure about Virgin - do Virgin pilots, air and ground crew earn a lot more than Easyjet?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They’re backbench MP’s supporting their constituents, they could be from any party, not a government move. These MP’s have been approached by many constituents who work for BA and other airlines, with a cry for help. As you know better than me, there are thousands of BA staff at Gatwick and Heathrow who are on old contracts paying very well. They and their union have been battling BA for decades to protect those lucrative jobs. Their argument now is that BA is using covid19 to rid the payroll of those staff, with those lucky enough to keep their roles being re-engaged on the money paid by Easyjet, Ryanair, Norwegian, Tui. I’m not sure about Virgin - do Virgin pilots, air and ground crew earn a lot more than Easyjet?

While there at it perhaps they could rejig the quarantine thing...right policy wrong time

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
While there at it perhaps they could rejig the quarantine thing...right policy wrong time

I’d like that, in part because I selfishly want to holiday overseas this summer.

The policy is too broad-brush. Completely understandable for those arriving from Brazil and Russia, in fact, they shouldn’t be allowed into the UK just now. But it’s stupidity for arrivals from Portugal (unless they originated from Brazil), Greece, Denmark, Germany and Norway where they dealt with covid effectively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here