Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Audiobook-only media player for child's bedtime

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry this is a bit Mumsnet, but any help gratefully received.

Our 6 year old has always been really bad at settling himself to sleep, but we think we might've just cracked it. Currently using audible on my phone to play him stories (with a sleep timer).

Obviously it's not ideal for it to always be my phone, I also have a concern that he might try to go on said phone. Anyone know of a basic media player that will play audiobooks/audible content, but not do much else or be that interesting a device to a child? We have tried the Yoto player but the cards are well expensive.

Cheers.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Our 6 year old has always been really bad at settling himself to sleep, but we think we might've just cracked it. Currently using audible on my phone to play him stories (with a sleep timer).

Obviously it's not ideal for it to always be my phone, I also have a concern that he might try to go on said phone. Anyone know of a basic media player that will play audiobooks/audible content, but not do much else or be that interesting a device to a child? We have tried the Yoto player but the cards are well expensive.

Cheers.
Surely any tablet would do it. Or you can still get MP3 players that don't have fancy screens or internet, but presumably could have a timer.

I take it that the human voice is out of the question?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I briefly had success setting up the generally useless Alexa in kids mode for this so I could have it on timer or turn it off from my phone.
Then it decided not to be able to access audible when in kids mode and banjoed it.
I'm afraid I have devoted more time to this reply then finding a solution so far but I suspect there is one.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Cheers.
Kindle fire, you can lock it up like fort knox and download kids sleep meditations as well. (y)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here