Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Wordle 478 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Flunked it

A - 3.68
S - 228

Wow-you have high expectations of yourself if that was you flunking it!

Others of us might have said you fluked it but with some of the results I raise an eyebrow at day to day on here, seems I'm one of the few who doesn't regularly fluke it!

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean

Attachments

• Wordle221010.png
    Wordle221010.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 74

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Wordle 478 5/6

1. X X Y X Y
2. X X Y X Y
3. X Y Y X X (repeated one of the yellows, dumbkopf)
4. G G X G G

Streak 24
Played 268
Average 4.06

Frustrating one today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Others of us might have said you fluked it but with some of the results I raise an eyebrow at day to day on here, seems I'm one of the few who doesn't regularly fluke it!

Welcome to my world! I think my English vocabulary is pretty good but I am definitely one of the dunces in the daily table.

I am genuinely gobsmacked at how some posters get twos and threes regularly when there are so many options and with just one or two letters (often in the wrong) place it’s then BOOM. It is not possible (for me anyway) to exclude ALL the possible potential letters on go one/two :shrug:

A bit of luck occasionally will happen to all of us but pretty well every fecking day?

I think Teddy probably meant fluked not flunked though?

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Welcome to my world! I think my English vocabulary is pretty good but I am definitely one of the dunces in the daily table.

I am genuinely gobsmacked at how some posters get twos and threes regularly when there are so many options and with just one or two letters (often in the wrong) place it’s then BOOM. It is not possible (for me anyway) to exclude ALL the possible potential letters on go one/two :shrug:

A bit of luck occasionally will happen to all of us but pretty well every fecking day?

There are some people that make me laugh out loud with their 2s and 3s and how they get there. Must be some miraculous assumptions being made which are correct on a daily basis. Incredible!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Gobsmacked or more :rolleyes:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
There are some people that make me laugh out loud with their 2s and 3s and how they get there. Must be some miraculous assumptions being made which are correct on a daily basis. Incredible!
As someone who has been doing this since last December and with an average of 3.92 I also raise a slight eyebrow at some of the low scores, especially if I have scored a 5 or 6.

Having said that by the law of averages occasionally you get lucky, for example on Sunday, by a strange combination for my first and second guesses I got to Howdy in 3. However, it was educated guess to choose windy for my second go that meant that howdy however stupid a word was the only word that would fit.

It is the people who seem to guess a word out of many alternative options first time almost every go, or those who go straight for using a double letter in an answer when logically that makes no sense, as they should be trying to eliminate other letters first, that I find strange.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
As someone who has been doing this since last December and with an average of 3.92 I also raise a slight eyebrow at some of the low scores, especially if I have scored a 5 or 6.

Having said that by the law of averages occasionally you get lucky, for example on Sunday, by a strange combination for my first and second guesses I got to Howdy in 3. However, it was educated guess to choose windy for my second go that meant that howdy however stupid a word was the only word that would fit.

It is the people who seem to guess a word out of many alternative options first time almost every go, or those who go straight for using a double letter in an answer when logically that makes no sense, as they should be trying to eliminate other letters first, that I find strange.

Don't get me wrong, there have been times where I have managed exactly the thing I'm saying I find strange. I had a two once where my first guess yielded nothing, bar eliminating 5 letters. With my second guess I got the word spot on. That was ridiculous, but it's happened once in 200+ games. There are words which are unusual, for example throwing in a double as you say. I don't believe anyone has an opening word guess which uses a double letter, it's wasteful and will not help you in the majority of words. But people will consistently get that as quickly as a more straight forward word which just uses more core letters. There's a particular word I'm waiting for which utilises the same letter three times and the other two letters are bottom of the barrel guesses. I'm almost horny at seeing people get 2s and 3s that day!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Don't get me wrong, there have been times where I have managed exactly the thing I'm saying I find strange. I had a two once where my first guess yielded nothing, bar eliminating 5 letters. With my second guess I got the word spot on. That was ridiculous, but it's happened once in 200+ games. There are words which are unusual, for example throwing in a double as you say. I don't believe anyone has an opening word guess which uses a double letter, it's wasteful and will not help you in the majority of words. But people will consistently get that as quickly as a more straight forward word which just uses more core letters. There's a particular word I'm waiting for which utilises the same letter three times and the other two letters are bottom of the barrel guesses. I'm almost horny at seeing people get 2s and 3s that day!
Yes I think I am in agreement with you.
Apart from getting horny about other wordle players!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Flunk was supposed to read fluke 😂😂

Not sure I can be regarded anyone who regularly flukes it, particularly at 3.68…….

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Well yes.
Some of this is strategy and each to their own.

I start with the same word every time, and have a back up second if the first yields nothing. I must use vowels by the second guess, unless I can’t think of a word.

My strategy generally comes unpicked with a double letter….

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Thank you 😊

If I say so myself, I’m quite good at these things, scrabble, boggle that sort of thing, so this suits me.

Don’t know why I’m justifying my flunk, I mean fluke though 😂

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
They are only cheating themselves anyway.
Obviously being top of the table is important enough to them to get there by any means.

I assume that you are calling me a cheat, seeing as I happen to be top of the ladder today.
You are entitled to your opinion, but my conscience is clear, why would I want to cheat, I'd only be cheating myself, and does being top of a fantasy ladder means **** all to me.
I have played this game for 292 days and have not even looked at this thread before completing my wordle first.
I have my own strategy for the game, as I'm sure most people have. Personally, I look for pairs of different letters as the start, with one or two vowels to follow. I never use the same start words, some days ST, other days BR, TH, CL, but I have yet to cheat as you suggest.
I usually play with my wife, and she tends to start with ADIEU most days because she likes to sort the vowels out, myself, I'd rather sort out the start or end letters.
Each to their own, as far as I'm concerned, it's just logical thinking.
Sorry if this gives any answers to any who haven't played yet today, but I'm finished with this now.
My start word today was Story, followed by Decoy as a 2nd word, that led me to a 3 because the E had to be the start letter.

As I said, I'm finished with this now, thanks to Brighton Bear for all his hard work with the table.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I assume that you are calling me a cheat, seeing as I happen to be top of the ladder today.
You are entitled to your opinion, but my conscience is clear, why would I want to cheat, I'd only be cheating myself, and does being top of a fantasy ladder means **** all to me.
I have played this game for 292 days and have not even looked at this thread before completing my wordle first.
I have my own strategy for the game, as I'm sure most people have. Personally, I look for pairs of different letters as the start, with one or two vowels to follow. I never use the same start words, some days ST, other days BR, TH, CL, but I have yet to cheat as you suggest.
I usually play with my wife, and she tends to start with ADIEU most days because she likes to sort the vowels out, myself, I'd rather sort out the start or end letters.
Each to their own, as far as I'm concerned, it's just logical thinking.
Sorry if this gives any answers to any who haven't played yet today, but I'm finished with this now.
My start word today was Story, followed by Decoy as a 2nd word, that led me to a 3 because the E had to be the start letter.

As I said, I'm finished with this now, thanks to Brighton Bear for all his hard work with the table.
Dear Hailsham

I am not calling YOU out (even if you think someone else did). As joint longest streak holder I take a passing interest in your scores, and have worked out that you do, as you say, switch your starts around, which makes sense (not least it gets boring starting with the same letters all the time). And you clearly have been on a slightly harder trot lately anyway.

Please don't flounce now, as it is only 8 days to the 300 up!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dear Hailsham

I am not calling YOU out (even if you think someone else did). As joint longest streak holder I take a passing interest in your scores, and have worked out that you do, as you say, switch your starts around, which makes sense (not least it gets boring starting with the same letters all the time). And you clearly have been on a slightly harder trot lately anyway.

Please don't flounce now, as it is only 8 days to the 300 up!

Good post.

Keep going [MENTION=15008]HAILSHAM SEAGULL[/MENTION] as I’m banking on you having a bad run, so you come towards me average wise 😂😂😂

Adieu is a good word, think I might even copy your wife!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here