Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Anthony Joshua

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Less than 72 hours to go now on the Sky tracker. Rob McCracken reckons it's going to be a 'great fight'.

Go on AJ!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really don't understand this attitude.

Joshua has had 24 professional fights. In his last ten he has:

fought Dillian Whyte and won the British title.
fought Charles Martin and won the IBF world title
fought two easy defences.
fought Klitschko and won the WBO and IBO world titles
retained his titles in a mandatory defence against Carlos Takam, a two week replacement for Pulev.
fought Joseph Parker and won the WBA world title to go with his other world titles.
Fought Povetkin in a mandatory defence
Fought Andy Ruiz, another short term replacement, and lost.
Fought a re-match against Ruiz and won back all his titles.

Now he's fighting Pulev in another mandatory defence.

So in his last ten fights he has won the british title and three world titles(four if you count the IBO, which most people don't) and had mandatory defences. He lost one of those fights and had the rematch to get the titles back. Now he's in another mandatory defence.

Who exactly during those ten fights was he supposed to fight that is better than he has? The fights we all want to see are against Wilder and Fury. Wilder isn't going to happen because Wilder really is a champion dodger. Fury? There hasn't really been a realistic opportunity yet. It was never going to happen when Fury fought Wilder and since then we've had to wait on the first rematch and then for the second rematch clause to expire.

I think it's unfair to say that Joshua is a dodger. He has fought a consistently high calibre of opponent, higher on average than anyone else in the division. Yet he's the one that gets all the stick.

I love AJ and Fury. Their separation is also driven by Warren and Hearn protecting their colossal cash cows.

I do think Fury now has it all and would win a unification, but I don’t want him to destroy AJ. I like UFC and have a lifelong love of boxing, but never want people seriously hurt.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019

retained his titles in a mandatory defence against Carlos Takam, a two week replacement for Pulev.
fought Joseph Parker and won the WBA world title to go with his other world titles.

So in his last ten fights he has won the british title and three world titles(four if you count the IBO, which most people don't) and had mandatory defences. He lost one of those fights and had the rematch to get the titles back. Now he's in another mandatory defence.

Who exactly during those ten fights was he supposed to fight that is better than he has? The fights we all want to see are against Wilder and Fury. Wilder isn't going to happen because Wilder really is a champion dodger. Fury? There hasn't really been a realistic opportunity yet. It was never going to happen when Fury fought Wilder and since then we've had to wait on the first rematch and then for the second rematch clause to expire.

I think it's unfair to say that Joshua is a dodger. He has fought a consistently high calibre of opponent, higher on average than anyone else in the division. Yet he's the one that gets all the stick.

You don't understand it because it's bollocks. I can't say I find Joshua a massively interesting fighter, but to say he dodges people is just nonsense. Especially when you compare his record to Wilder and Fury. Fury would outbox Joshua, and win on points IMO.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I love AJ and Fury. Their separation is also driven by Warren and Hearn protecting their colossal cash cows.

I do think Fury now has it all and would win a unification, but I don’t want him to destroy AJ. I like UFC and have a lifelong love of boxing, but never want people seriously hurt.

In terms of being seriously hurt, the Eubank jr vs Nick Blackwell fight really sticks in my mind. The boy took such a beating, you could sense tragedy coming. How the referee took so long stop it I’ll never know, in fact I think it may have only been stopped on doctor’s orders.

What I hadn’t realised until recently, is that Nick had made a more or less complete recovery, only to get back in the ring. Here’s an interview shortly after coming out of hospital following that fight.

After sparring again, rightly or wrongly, he became seriously injured once more. Here’s a more recent interview, and the cognitive impact is sadly so very apparent.

It’s such a sad story, but I love boxing. And I love football. I don’t care for Rugby, but many people do. All these sports are coming under intense scrutiny right now. What level of risk is acceptable?

I was a terrible amateur footballer, but if I had one quality it’s that I would stick my head anywhere, and got knocked on more than one occasion for my troubles. I knew the risks. Or at least I thought I did. We’re living in times of sweeping change, and I do wonder how some of our most beloved sports will emerge from this period. I’m not sure I even know what the right answer looks like.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In terms of being seriously hurt, the Eubank jr vs Nick Blackwell fight really sticks in my mind. The boy took such a beating, you could sense tragedy coming. How the referee took so long stop it I’ll never know, in fact I think it may have only been stopped on doctor’s orders.

What I hadn’t realised until recently, is that Nick had made a more or less complete recovery, only to get back in the ring. Here’s an interview shortly after coming out of hospital following that fight.

After sparring again, rightly or wrongly, he became seriously injured once more. Here’s a more recent interview, and the cognitive impact is sadly so very apparent.

It’s such a sad story, but I love boxing. And I love football. I don’t care for Rugby, but many people do. All these sports are coming under intense scrutiny right now. What level of risk is acceptable?

I was a terrible amateur footballer, but if I had one quality it’s that I would stick my head anywhere, and got knocked on more than one occasion for my troubles. I knew the risks. Or at least I thought I did. We’re living in times of sweeping change, and I do wonder how some of our most beloved sports will emerge from this period. I’m not sure I even know what the right answer looks like.

Watching old fights on youtube, I hate it when refs allow a couple of KO’s too many or a few too many semi-unprotected flurries once a fighter is almost certainly going to lose. Much safer endings now, usually.

Froch v Groves 1 may’ve ended a tad earlier, but when you watch the finale, Froch is in total command, his punches connecting viciously, hands down easily avoiding Groves punches. Sometimes someone with a good chin and never say die spirit is their own worst enemy. Refs save them from issues later in life imho.

I love rugby too. Changes will have to be made, but it will need to be international at elite level.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
He can call himself the People’s Champion when he has relieved Fury of his belts, regretfully for AJ fans Fury will hurt him badly, I’d go as far as saying I’m quite fearful that he could get seriously hurt!

Fury is a Beast

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Spot on. Sometimes it's a shame you can't give a post two thumbs up.

I do want to see AJ/Fury though. Even as an AJ fan I would stump up PPV for that in the knowledge that Fury would probably win it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Who else has ordered the big fight on Saturday night? Was a bit taken aback at first to see the £24.95 cost but the opportunity to see the peoples champion for the first time in nearly a year I am sure it will still get massive viewing figures. AJ is massively popular so people will stump up the cash and hopefully roar him on to another historic victory as he seeks to unify the heavyweight titles.

I'm ordering it old boy, looking forward to seeing him in action, don't know how well stacked the undercard is, hopefully not too many female contests?

Pulev has a punchers chance, and as we saw in Madison Square Garden, even the most portly of opponents can still knock AJ out, that said I think AJ will win and hopefully set up the biggest fight in the history of British Boxing next summer.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Well of course yes, that and the TV companies they have contracts with ... but I think, if they both genuinely want to make to it happen it will happen. As others have said, we will find out if one or both are dodgers in six months time. If nothing has been scheduled then, we can assume it's unlikely to happen until they are both seriously on the decline and have nothing to lose.

Boxing should be good, but the politics that goes alongside it makes it mostly shit

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Who else has ordered the big fight on Saturday night? Was a bit taken aback at first to see the £24.95 cost but the opportunity to see the peoples champion for the first time in nearly a year I am sure it will still get massive viewing figures. AJ is massively popular so people will stump up the cash and hopefully roar him on to another historic victory as he seeks to unify the heavyweight titles.
If its not on Sportsnight I'm not watching.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well of course yes, that and the TV companies they have contracts with ... but I think, if they both genuinely want to make to it happen it will happen. As others have said, we will find out if one or both are dodgers in six months time. If nothing has been scheduled then, we can assume it's unlikely to happen until they are both seriously on the decline and have nothing to lose.

Boxing should be good, but the politics that goes alongside it makes it mostly shit

I still love the sport at the top end. I’m used to the annoying politics, starting with the WBA and WBC schism back in the day, with fighters/promoters avoiding unifications. Also, almost certainly corruption with astonishing decisions.

It is was it is, we can’t change it. I still admire world class fighters.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

The shame over losing fights or throwing the towel in needs to end. Muppets who bang on about bravery should support dropping the stigma if only for the fact that it will ensure more restrictive rules aren't introduced. One-punch knockouts (like Povetkin) can happen but weighing up the chances of it happening vs the potential risks, it's not worth it. Especially when it's not heavyweights. Johnson vs Groves and Degale vs Eubank spring to mind. Would have had more respect if the corners had thrown the towel in rather than allowed six-plus rounds of battering. Guff like people saying Dubois should have risked his sight and Wilder savaging his trainer needs to stop, as well. We all love that it's a tough sport and the aspect of pushing yourself to the limit but knowing how to accept defeat and respect your health is just as "macho" as carrying on needlessly.

Blackwell shouldn't have been allowed to spar and the people who enabled it should have been held more accountable. Think the fella he sparred with got a moderate ban and that was about it. He's doing better every week, now. There are plenty of ways to stay in the game if you've still got the bug. Brighton ABC still lets you hang around, advise, do bags and pads, train the fitness aspects, do community work and support fighters in other ways once you get on a bit and have fought a load of times.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The shame over losing fights or throwing the towel in needs to end. Muppets who bang on about bravery should support dropping the stigma if only for the fact that it will ensure more restrictive rules aren't introduced. One-punch knockouts (like Povetkin) can happen but weighing up the chances of it happening vs the potential risks, it's not worth it. Especially when it's not heavyweights. Johnson vs Groves and Degale vs Eubank spring to mind. Would have had more respect if the corners had thrown the towel in rather than allowed six-plus rounds of battering. Guff like people saying Dubois should have risked his sight and Wilder savaging his trainer needs to stop, as well. We all love that it's a tough sport and the aspect of pushing yourself to the limit but knowing how to accept defeat and respect your health is just as "macho" as carrying on needlessly.

Blackwell shouldn't have been allowed to spar and the people who enabled it should have been held more accountable. Think the fella he sparred with got a moderate ban and that was about it. He's doing better every week, now. There are plenty of ways to stay in the game if you've still got the bug. Brighton ABC still lets you hang around, advise, do bags and pads, train the fitness aspects, do community work and support fighters in other ways once you get on a bit and have fought a load of times.
Well said sir.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

not for me. There are enough things in life over santisied.

Boxing is a fantastic sport like no other. A boxer should always go out on his shield . It's imperative to have a good corner to know when to pull you out is the main thing here.

You cant ruin a top sport like boxing if you sanitise it and soften up the bravery line.

Fighting is compulsive viewing because of this.

Leave it alone

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

100% correct. We'd still have legends like Apollo Creed if ego and bravado wasn't more important than life and humility.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

I agree with this and disagree at the same time! I certainly don't want to see a fighter get seriously hurt but the determination of a fighter to overcome adversity and go through the pain barrier in a fight is ultimately what makes them a great. If Tyson fury was thinking of his health would he have got off the canvas to fight on against Wilder, would Joshua of beaten Klitschko? I don't think you can make it to the very top in boxing without being prepared to go out on your shield, its what gives a boxer the edge.

So if you are a boxer and you have that attitude and you're corner pulls you out, you are not going to be happy, and you might do what Wilder did and sack the trainer. So trainers are in an impossible position as well, they will always leave their boxers in as long as they can and particularly when it's an important fight.

At the end of the day it the fighters themselves who are the first to complain that someone has quit and are often more vocal than the fans and thats because it's their mindset, the mindset that makes them take part in the sport. Most of us wouldn't get anywhere near a ring and from those that have boxed and experienced someone punching you in the head it's only a very small number of people that are prepared to take the level of punishment and put in the commitment needed to get to the top.

If we change the sport and try some how to take this element out then I think personally the sport dies a death itself. Boxing is by its nature violent and aggressive, thats why the majority of people tune in!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Boxers wouldn’t and shouldn’t be so calculated in the heat of battle.

Boxing is a violent sport and unfortunately there will always be tragedies, but it’s not the only sport which is a risk to life. It’s just more obvious because of the aim of the sport, which is to inflict damage on your opponent and render them unconscious for 10 seconds.

You’re right about corners and I’ve seen poor corner work on a number of occasions.

It’s not in a fighters DNA or at least shouldn’t be to give up. If it were we wouldn’t have seen fights like Gatti vs Ward or Castillo vs Corrales.

If safety trumps entertainment then make them wear head guards and let them fight with additionally padded gloves. It won’t happen because violence sells and deep down we all like to see a concussive knock out as much as, if not more than great defence or clever counter punching.

That’s why Nigel Benn was more popular than Herol Graham & Pacquiao than Mayweather.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Go on AJ!! Hope everyone has paid their money to watch tonight.

I'm going for the people's champion by KO in 5.

:clap:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I’m going for an impressive early KO, despite Pulev punchers chance, with AJ winning 2,3 or 4.

Just out of interest for the ring walk music do they have to pay the artist royalties?

If yes, Tom Welch had an impressive debut last night on Channel 5 but made his walk to the ring to ‘Rock and Roll Part 2”, does this mean Paul Gadd will get a cheque coming through his cell door?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here