Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ansu Fati **Signed On Loan 01/09**

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm starting to think he's another Pedro/Bojan to come out of their academy. Technically very gifted but is he really going to add a great deal to a team? I'm not so sure.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm starting to think he's another Pedro/Bojan to come out of their academy. Technically very gifted but is he really going to add a great deal to a team? I'm not so sure.
He was adding a lot when he first came on the scene. It still feels like he's holding back at the moment, scared to get injured again. As you say his technique is elite. What I'm slightly more puzzled about is a couple of years back his shooting was incredible, now, not so much. If we can keep giving him game time you never know.....

FCB

Sep 1, 2023

Bojan was one of the most hyped Barca youngsters ever and that was before social media became what it is today (when folk are making yt videos of 12 yo kids and label them as the next big things - no need to say most people don't even know where these youngsters are 6-7 years later). He and Gio Dos Santos (even a bigger flop than Bojan tbh) were exciting youngsters behind a "fantastic four" (Messi, Eto'o, Henry, Ronaldinho) in last season of Frank Rijkaard when things already got out of his hands. Ronaldinho spend more time partying than training, Henry had problems adapting to a new club and Messi had some injury problems (didn't miss as much time as in previous two years though) that bothered him early in his career before Pep took over. So Bojan got more minutes than he was supposed to at his age. He scored 10 league goals as 17 year old and he never got into double digits goals again in his whole career. I think he never had mentality to suceed at the top level. And I'm not talking about making it Barca. He never managed to establish himself even as a starter at midtable club in a top 5 league. Joining Stoke of all clubs was probably the wrong career move for him too at the time he was still only 24 and could maybe turned into a late bloomer.

Pedro on the other hand was never a hyped prospect but benefited playing for a season under Guardiola for Barca B in Spanish 4th tier. (The same could be said about Sergio Busquets who also came "out of nowhere" and established himself as a starter ahead of Yaya Toure within a year.) Away from most fans and media spot light but Pep recognized his talent working daily with him. Pedro was more of an "effort guy" than a star in a team full of world class players but he established himself as a starter despite not having individual talent than likes of Messi (ofc nobody ever had that so unfair to really compare anyone to him), Henry, Xavi or Iniesta.

Ofc had good technical abilities but what really made his career was incredible work rate. Pep said he had to "slow Pedro down" sometimes and made him run less but more effective. Was also a big game player and became the first player ever to score in six different club competitions in a single season. And when he left Barca after a treble winning season 2014-15 (his playing time decreased behind MSN so decided to move on despite Barca prefered to keep him) he had a good few years at Chelsea and is still playing on a solid level nowadays in his mid-thirties at Lazio. Up to this day I consider Pedro as one of the top 3-5 most underrated players in world football in last 15-20 years.

So Pedro and Bojan had totally different career trajectory and I wouldn't put them in the same basket just because they were technically gifted. Most players coming through La Masia are but not many really make a great career outside of Barca because we produce players primarily for our system and they struggle to adapt to other clubs. But those who have 1. enough talent and 2. the right mentality will also succeed elsewhere.

Ofc you never know what longterm effects injuries will have not only on players bodies but also their psyche (fear of getting re-injured is always somewhere in subconscience) but based on what I've seen so far from Ansu I think he fits that category. I still like him a lot and hope he'll return but I'm affraid Barca has other plans. But as long as he stays relatively injury free I believe he has everything for a good to potentially great career. Where that will be is another question.

BTW, Bojan has returned to the club as a football coordinator a month ago and is monitoring development of the youngsters at La Masia while also keeping an eye on players out on loan, including Ansu.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Assuming they really are looking to sell...

If he has a good season with us he'll end up with a big club for a big fee and with big wages.

If he has an average season with us, he'll still end up at a big club, with big wages but perhaps for a more modest fee... Or Saudi Arabia.

If he has a poor season with us, he'll have to take a pay cut somewhere, unless he moves to Saudi.

The chances of us signing him are so so slim unless for whatever reason he loves it here, doesn't have any interest in signing for a bigger club, doesn't mind taking a massive paycut, and we think he is worth huge wages.
So you’re saying there is a chance…… I’m thinking Jim Carey here.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Havent seen anything of note from him yet. He's getting more minutes in his legs so hoping for a match winning performance soon

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just wanted to flag on here how brilliant I thought his finish was last night. So simple, so balanced, just caressed into the net, it was awesome and really showcased how easy he can make the game look.
That initial touch and the instant, perfectly placed shot were just sublime. Very few players could have done that.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Sensational movement, touch and finish in one motion - the kid's a genius on a football pitch and nearly had a second goal shortly after. He was largely anonymous but when he comes alive he can settle a game for us. The kid's a talent.
Such a shame he didn't bury the second. Probably should have hit the target.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Great to see him playing well - lovely finish - and looking like he's enjoying himself too.

We waited until he left the pitch last night (he was being interviewed on the far side) and he jogged off with a MASSIVE smile on his face.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Just wanted to flag on here how brilliant I thought his finish was last night. So simple, so balanced, just caressed into the net, it was awesome and really showcased how easy he can make the game look.
Gotta give a bit of love to Adingras turn and dinked little pass.

The Guardian insisted on calling it a 'punched' through ball. But it was the most dinked of dinks.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great to see him playing well - lovely finish - and looking like he's enjoying himself too.

We waited until he left the pitch last night (he was being interviewed on the far side) and he jogged off with a MASSIVE smile on his face.
Yep. A few of us knew what the potential was if he stayed fit, and that he'd be mostly used as a 10 or false 9. Lovely to see him fulfilling it with a big grin on his face.

Mind you, I'd back that Ajax side to up the confidence of any opposing young player with a bit about them. Must be the worst squad and tactics they've had in their history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here