Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex grass lamps

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Light Pollution is indeed a thing that can affect both humans and wildlife. I am not however convinced that the light pollution that amex is responsible for is of great significance
If memory serves, they did a study of 'floodlight upward glare' at the inquiry. Might be wrong, but would be surprised if they didn't, seeing as how they studied just about every other damn thing at great expense to the Albion

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Do other sports clubs have this "problem" or is it only Brighton & Hove Albion FC?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Light pollution exists. It can cause problems, and some people are concerned that the Amex is maybe contributing to unwanted light pollution. So it is a story, albeit it not a very exciting or important one, so why all the anger that it has been published? It can't just be, surely, because it was published by a news source that some of us had never heard of until alerted of its existence by the loud squawks on NSC?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If memory serves, they did a study of 'floodlight upward glare' at the inquiry. Might be wrong, but would be surprised if they didn't, seeing as how they studied just about every other damn thing at great expense to the Albion
They did and normally the light pollution is very minimal, it's just these low clouds which are causing the problem, it's not a year round thing

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Light pollution exists. It can cause problems, and some people are concerned that the Amex is maybe contributing to unwanted light pollution. So it is a story, albeit it not a very exciting or important one, so why all the anger that it has been published? It can't just be, surely, because it was published by a news source that some of us had never heard of until alerted of its existence by the loud squawks on NSC?
You'd never heard of ITV until you read about it on NSC?
That's taking refusal to watch "the other channel" to an extreme I've not come across before.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
FFS what an old non story about something that has come up before. Have these people not heard of curtains and blinds? And if they really want to get all NIMBY how about they queried the planning permission granted for the ugly great student accommodation on Bennett's field?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, you're quite right light pollution IS important. However I don't see any anger on this thread. Most people, including myself, have just been laughing at the stupidity of people thinking it was the Northern Lights. They only slight grumbles have been at the club for being maybe a bit too dismissive of the problem. (And the complaint has been raised before)

EDIT: And I read the story in the Argus. And I most definitely had heard of that news source before :)

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Why not do it during the daytime to boost the the natural levels?

I guess electricity is more expensive than at night?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Been a bunch of odd people posting old articles about the lights to stir something up across social media (especially Facebook) recently.

Funny GMB have jumped on a NIMBY bandwagon...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Been a bunch of odd people posting old articles about the lights to stir something up across social media (especially Facebook) recently.

Yep I noticed that on the Brighton skies page recently. So much rubbish written about it was though it's something new and now an all year problem.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Do other sports clubs have this "problem" or is it only Brighton & Hove Albion FC?
Of course they do - they all use similar lighting systems for their grass. The difference is that the Amex is in a relatively dark place, whereas most stadiums are surrounded by town lights, which reduces the contrast and makes it less obvious.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I understand that WEF have been contributing to the lights, as well as them being portable 5G masts.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The irony is that the South Downs is one of only 19 dark sky IDSR areas around the world. I guess the lights were out when they did their tests.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The irony is that the South Downs is one of only 19 dark sky IDSR areas around the world. I guess the lights were out when they did their tests.
it's only a problem where there is low cloud or fog, which reflects the light - so, neither scenario is ideal for Astronomy anyway.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

They do indeed. Ashford (Middx) FC wanted to put in lights about 25 years ago, to able to compete in the FA Cup, apparently it’s a requirement. Local neighbours complained about them saying that they didn’t believe it would only be occasionally. “the next thing you know it will be Tina Turner concerts!” Just behind the nearest houses the council 3G pitch had floodlights on every night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here