Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcohol free beer

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agree that this is a future big market.

Almost without exception, if I visit a pub, I'm the one driving, so limited at most to a pint and a half.

If the session (for the others) runs to 3 or 4 pints, then its a bit shit, moving to coke or whatever, and I'm not prepared to pay £4 for a 330ml bottle of a mediocre AF beer.

On a hot summer day, going for shandies isn't TOO bad, but its all a bit sweet.

I wonder if a 50/50 'shandy' of a decent lager and a draft AF lager would be a WINNER?

https://twitter.com/brewdog/status/1277908529886740480?lang=en-GB was pretty decent.

If you like more of an Ale - Kernels Table Beer (2.9%) is good - https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/20...he-kernel-brewerys-table-beer-came-into-being

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Agree that this is a future big market.

Almost without exception, if I visit a pub, I'm the one driving, so limited at most to a pint and a half.

If the session (for the others) runs to 3 or 4 pints, then its a bit shit, moving to coke or whatever, and I'm not prepared to pay £4 for a 330ml bottle of a mediocre AF beer.

On a hot summer day, going for shandies isn't TOO bad, but its all a bit sweet.

I wonder if a 50/50 'shandy' of a decent lager and a draft AF lager would be a WINNER?

Absolutely. Or a decent draft cask and something by Big Drop would be great for ale fans. They do a couple of really good maltier AFs (I think the overly hoppy AFs can often be a bit too close to fruit juice personally). I don’t think it’ll be long before most pubs have a kegged AF option. Something nicer about having an actual pint- I usually buy two bottles with a pint glass but it works out more expensive than an actual pint so isn’t gonna last moving forward.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I drink certain beers because I like the taste. Also because of the effect it has on me.
I drink a few which puts me in a cheerful mood.
I drink more when on a mission, or cellebrating.
If I don't want either of these, then I drink tea.
Never understood alcohol free beer.
Isn't the effect of drinking beer one of the reasons it is drunk ?
Could explain why I am not a home drinker, has to be a bit of atmosphere.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I drink certain beers because I like the taste. Also because of the effect it has on me.
I drink a few which puts me in a cheerful mood.
I drink more when on a mission, or cellebrating.
If I don't want either of these, then I drink tea.
Never understood alcohol free beer.
Isn't the effect of drinking beer one of the reasons it is drunk ?
Could explain why I am not a home drinker, has to be a bit of atmosphere.

I am with you on this.

I can sort of see the attraction. ish. However, what I see as the pointless element is those looking to lose weight - Alcohol free beers are usually, not always, but usually full of carbs/sugar.

If you're drinking them to give up alcohol? Well, you're giving your body and mind so many triggers by drinking any kind of alcohol substitute that it will only serve to lead you back to alcohol nearly 100% of cases.

However, if you like the taste and don't like hangovers? yeah, I can see the point.

ish.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Alcohol free beers are usually, not always, but usually full of carbs/sugar.

No they contain sugar.

See also Coca Cola, Lemonade and Orange Juice.

For someone who doesn't see the point, you spend an awful lot of time writing about them.

:lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No they contain sugar.

See also Coca Cola, Lemonade and Orange Juice.

For someone who doesn't see the point, you spend an awful lot of time writing about them.

:lolol:

A lot of non alcoholic beers and wines add a lot of sugar. Some don’t. A lot do. They are rather high in sugar. But sugar content varies widely.
As are some soft drinks, as you mention.

I think they are largely pointless but I find the subject interesting. I work with substance abusers and I find attitudes towards alcohol and the topic in general an interesting one.

I’ve studied the use of non alcoholic ales etc in the recovery process and it’s interesting both physiologically and psychologically. It doesn’t work for addicts and we strongly advise against them but can sometimes work for people who wish to cut down alcohol consumption.

But I get your point

Anyway that’s my two penny worth :)

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I am with you on this.

I can sort of see the attraction. ish. However, what I see as the pointless element is those looking to lose weight - Alcohol free beers are usually, not always, but usually full of carbs/sugar.

If you're drinking them to give up alcohol? Well, you're giving your body and mind so many triggers by drinking any kind of alcohol substitute that it will only serve to lead you back to alcohol nearly 100% of cases.

However, if you like the taste and don't like hangovers? yeah, I can see the point.

I went AF for a few years, while my wife and I were undergoing fertility treatment. But I like the taste of beer, so I worked my way through the available options. The range has improved markedly in the last few years, especially with the likes of Brewdog and Guinness providing quality options.

I'm now back on the hard stuff, but will likely continue to purchase the odd AF option from time to time and (once sensible to do so) will be far more likely to choose AF options when out with friends in future, either as staple or in between alcoholic drinks to prevent the pleasant buzz becoming an unpleasant head-swim / hangover.

You’re right to argue that some AF alternatives have a few calories - but There’s quite a few AF beers that are low calories and in my experience you’re unlikely to want to drink them at high volume …
I lost a fair bit of weight too when I went AF.

I lost a stone doing AF January a couple of years ago, I think everybody should have a month off once a year just so you can remember the big difference it makes. I'll schedule mine in soon once the spring road races start.

I thought the choices were a bit crap last time I did it but apparantly the market has exploded since - a friend of mine recommends this site

https://drydrinker.com/

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Another vote for Drop Brewing - their stout is good

Also I’d recommend BrewDog’s Hazy AF which is a nice drink. I spent last year’s dry January going through the BrewDog range

There are some nice low alcohol,beers especially from the small brewers

Another vote here for BrewDog, you can't really tell the difference. I buy them as I love a beer but sometimes I actually just want a cold drink and can't stand Coke etc. So an AF beer helps me with 3-5 AF days per week, and it does cut calories as when I've had a beer I'm more likely to want a late night snack or an early morning bacon roll!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well I've not tried very many since first posting. I threw 2 bottle of the Peroni Libera out, as it was foul, and picked up 4 cans of the Heineken0.0 the other day. It's certainly better but there is still that distinctive aftertaste. I looked at some the websites, as I am sure the beers are better but the prices are sky high. I don't mind paying good money for stuff I like. But this is alcohol free beer, and I can't bring myself to pay c£30 for 12 cans of mixed sizing.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I can strongly recommend the BEAVERTOWN AF

Although not cheap, it actually tastes like beer, and is as refreshing when you get in after a hard day at work. Drinking it has helped me go from being an everyday drinker to just 4 days a week (Weds-Sun)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I had to go alcohol free on Christmas Day and chose Brewdog's Punk AF. I thought is was very good. Surprised me.

Same here for me on NY Eve. Didn't really miss the drinking at all as it happens and the lack of a hangover the next day is a bonus. In future on a night out where I fancy feeling mildly drunk, I might even consider having 2-3 pints, then switch to AF. In the right company, pleased to discover I don't really need the alcohol.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is there anywhere at all you can actually buy non alcoholic Guinness?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is there anywhere at all you can actually buy non alcoholic Guinness?

Yes :)

Tescos and Waitrose, but they sell out quickly. My Waitrose only takes ten 4 packs at a time and they sell out really quickly on click and collect.

However , just ask what day it gets delivered at the customer services desk and when it be on the shelf. If the shelf pack overnight will be next day obviously.

They know that about every product, trust me and just get there in the morning.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Heineken zero is very good.

However the daddy of all alcohol free beers is Guiness Zero if you can get it.

They've nailed it in a way others haven't. Best drunk ice cold.

Its been sold out for months, but Waitrose are doing it again. I get it on click and collect be because its not always in store.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Got some of this delivered from Asda - you are so right, ice cold it’s superb!

If you drink beer for the taste, then this is the dogs!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here