Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions biggest crowd for reservers

Ex Vanguard Drinker

Feb 14, 2008
I think I remember back in late 70,s that there was a 2nds match that you had to go to to get a voucher to be able to buy a ticket for Albions FA cup match the following weekend and there was over 20,000 to watch.Cant recall who we played but makes the 4395 seem so small.

Jan 30, 2008
I think I remember back in late 70,s that there was a 2nds match that you had to go to to get a voucher to be able to buy a ticket for Albions FA cup match the following weekend and there was over 20,000 to watch.Cant recall who we played but makes the 4395 seem so small.
CHARLTON and the tickets were for the cup game against Derby i believe

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My memory is obviously very hazy as I always thought that was for the Wolves cup match tickets. I'm probably wrong, but anyway, went to both.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
there was a game long ago when we picked up the tickets for a cup match? and the opposition was Barrow and I think in that game that Kit Napier scored direct from a corner.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I remember a reserves match against Notts County......about 20,000 there.

........Oh............and tickets for the Chelsea FA Cup game on sale too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I remember that occassion but I also went to reserve game at The Goldstone in the late 50s or early 60s when we played Spurs Res and about 10,000 turned up because every one of the Spurs reserve team was a full international for their country.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I remember that - was it Brian Dear who had a goal disallowed against Chelsea that would have won it for us?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I remember that - was it Brian Dear who had a goal disallowed against Chelsea that would have won it for us?

I dont think so....thought he came to Brighton later on. Charlie Livesey played up front..........and I think it was Dave Turner who scored the equaliser to earn us a replay at Stamford Bridge.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I dont think so....thought he came to Brighton later on. Charlie Livesey played up front..........and I think it was Dave Turner who scored the equaliser to earn us a replay at Stamford Bridge.

I remember it as a hook volley into the top cornner disallowed because someone else was offside though had no impact on the play. Maybe it was Brian Tawse?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
CHARLTON and the tickets were for the cup game against Derby i believe
Wasn't it for the 4th round of the League Cup ? Did we beat Ipswich in the 3rd round ? All I can vaguely remember of it is being a midweek fixture and although it was a massive attendance figure (turnstile clicks) there were probably only about 4,000 who stayed to watch the game as the majority just wanted to get hold of their ticket and left straight away.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The match against Derby was in 1976 and the crowd was over 32,500. The North Stand was jam packed for this midweek clash and the only room we could find was over near the fencing dividing it from the N.E. Terrace. Marvellous scenes , wouldn't be allowed nowadays on H&S grounds sticking that many fans into a stand. Crushed wasnt the word for it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
There were 17,000 v Charlton. I went in twice to buy my mate a ticket for the Derby game not realising that he already had one.

Even though the match was a sell out I couldn't shift the ticket on the cup night. Never did get that £1 back!

Jan 30, 2008
Wasn't it for the 4th round of the League Cup ? Did we beat Ipswich in the 3rd round ? All I can vaguely remember of it is being a midweek fixture and although it was a massive attendance figure (turnstile clicks) there were probably only about 4,000 who stayed to watch the game as the majority just wanted to get hold of their ticket and left straight away.
yes,yes, yes.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
According to my Seagulls history book written by Tim Carder the gate was 22,229 against Notts County reserves for a cup match against Chelsea.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here