Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Why petty? Playing at the Amex in the last couple of seasons must be like playing in a mausoleum. If he heard anything from our fans it would have been criticism. He is currently playing at Boro. Chris Wilder was on the radio tonight saying how fantastic the Boro fans have been. Pretty fair chance they are the best fans Aaron has played in front of. I can't think of a time when he would have even considered saying the same about Brighton fans. If he's caught up in the moment and enjoying his football without an incessant stream of criticism from the fans, then good luck to him. Meanwhile, his parent club fans continue to take a pop at him. Petty? No. Victim of bullying, yes. And still it goes on.

He's employed by Brighton. But he's been so bad at his job he's been loaned out to Middlesbrough, and if going by the Internet their fans think he's shit. None of that excuses him having a pop at the fans of his parent club's supporters even if the Amex is like a morgue.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why petty? Playing at the Amex in the last couple of seasons must be like playing in a mausoleum. If he heard anything from our fans it would have been criticism. He is currently playing at Boro. Chris Wilder was on the radio tonight saying how fantastic the Boro fans have been. Pretty fair chance they are the best fans Aaron has played in front of. I can't think of a time when he would have even considered saying the same about Brighton fans. If he's caught up in the moment and enjoying his football without an incessant stream of criticism from the fans, then good luck to him. Meanwhile, his parent club fans continue to take a pop at him. Petty? No. Victim of bullying, yes. And still it goes on.
The Boro fans might have been good for the big occasion against Chelsea, and might be a loud and vociferous crowd generally, but the Boro fans on oneBoro (their version of NSC) are no more pro-Connolly than his detractors on here.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Connolly posting on Insta that Boro fans are the best he's played in front of is absolutely fabulous levels of petty.

But remember, he's the victim of bullying. LOL.

The Riverside was always a joke in terms of it being 2/3rds empty when they weren't doing well in the prem or below. Whenever you watched them you'd see a sea of those faded red seats and deathly quiet home fans.

They're doing well in the Championship and have had some cup final type games against PL teams in the Cup. Of course the place was full and rocking for those - would've been at the Amex too. Difference is we've had nothing much to cheer at the Amex for a long, long time now.

As for Connolly - if he hadn't acted like such a **** off the pitch on more than one occasion then no way brighton fans would've got on his back as much. It was a combination of that and his arrogance imo. Nothing to do with our fans being any different to others.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Connolly posting on Insta that Boro fans are the best he's played in front of is absolutely fabulous levels of petty.

But remember, he's the victim of bullying. LOL.

I have never seen anything in Connolly’s game to make me think he is worth keeping. He is entitled to express his views about our support though. The feeling is mutual. What he thinks about our support I think about his falling over at every opportunity instead of trying to score goals. In my opinion (which I am also allowed) he is shit and I hope he signs permanently for Boro in the Summer.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The Boro fans might have been good for the big occasion against Chelsea, and might be a loud and vociferous crowd generally, but the Boro fans on oneBoro (their version of NSC) are no more pro-Connolly than his detractors on here.

Apart from seeking out negative comments to maintain the narrative against Connolly, why were you even on the Boro site?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's hard to explain to someone not from Sussex but in recent years the only players we've had in the papers for their shagging are a) Liam Dickinson, who nobody would have noticed except he was on the front of the Sun in an article about drunk Uni students, b) Shane Duffy, who the Sun did a number on the day before we blew the title to a stoppage time Grealish strike, ft the line "I'm Shane Duffy, Google Me" C) Shane Duffy, for boning Katie Price but nobody was bothered because the Google Me story was better, and d) Connolly; for cheating on his Love Island bird.

Actually possibly e) Wayne Henderson's Mrs, who was fit, but found more fame going on The Apprentice rather than getting with the Brighton and Ireland goalkeeper.

It's not bullying, honestly, although I can see why someone from overseas looking in would think it might be. His big problem is like Jake Robinson before him, he threatened to be 'the chosen one" and was actually a shagger not very good at scoring goals.

To be fair on Liam Dickenson, wasn’t he pictured carrying someone out of a night club who passed out, to get them first aid?
I believe that then prompted what was he doing in there?

When he signed I thought he would improve us, then I saw him warm-up and clear the turnstiles at Withdean with his shots….

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I think another problem is Brighton fans have had a history of getting their star strikers "on the cheap".

Ward, Nelson, Zamora & Murray both twice, being acquired for small fees.

We are always expecting the new goal scoring machine to come along, plucked from the local park pitch, Ian Wright style. Its just that it never happens so we end up spending a lot of money on dross.

AC was seen as an alternative to that big money spending, scored goals for fun in the U23's, but unfortunately just doesn't seem able to move up to the next level.

In the days before Twitter we wouldn't be having these conversations, players would be "politely" told they weren't good enough and moved on... now you can allegedly cry mental health and bullying as a way of papering over the fact you're just not quite good enough and everyone else is to blame!

Apologies if that seems a little harsh, but that, unfortunately is life...

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Overrated just not good enough

I will always believe that would have read 'underrated and too good for us', had he been given the luxury of a Ben White upbringing.

Another casualty of the club's striker blindspot.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think another problem is Brighton fans have had a history of getting their star strikers "on the cheap".

We are always expecting the new goal scoring machine to come along, plucked from the local park pitch, Ian Wright style. Its just that it never happens so we end up spending a lot of money on dross.

AC was seen as an alternative to that big money spending, scored goals for fun in the U23's, but unfortunately just doesn't seem able to move up to the next level.

In the days before Twitter we wouldn't be having these conversations, players would be "politely" told they weren't good enough and moved on... now you can allegedly cry mental health and bullying as a way of papering over the fact you're just not quite good enough and everyone else is to blame!

Apologies if that seems a little harsh, but that, unfortunately is life...
I agree with this AC scored a couple against a desperate Spurs side the club thought excellent we’ve saved a fortune here give him a new contract problem solved.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The problem is the standard we are at now is incredibly high - posted this on the Zeqiri thread but at 21/22 - Murray couldn’t score on League One, Zamora was at Spurs and scored 0 goals in the Premier League. So based on the same expectations we would never have signed Murray or Zamora.

The only 21/22 year olds scoring goals in the top flight are all at Champions League clubs so either fans need to manage expectations of young players or Tony needs to start spending a lot more money

Dec 29, 2011
The problem is the standard we are at now is incredibly high - posted this on the Zeqiri thread but at 21/22 - Murray couldn’t score on League One, Zamora was at Spurs and scored 0 goals in the Premier League. So based on the same expectations we would never have signed Murray or Zamora.

The only 21/22 year olds scoring goals in the top flight are all at Champions League clubs so either fans need to manage expectations of young players or Tony needs to start spending a lot more money

It's a good point, if Connolly had magically been a 15 goal a year striker, we would be looking for his replacement in less than 18 months as he'd be off to a top 4 club.

So perhaps the fact he's crap has saved us all that prolonged agro :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's a good point, if Connolly had magically been a 15 goal a year striker, we would be looking for his replacement in less than 18 months as he'd be off to a top 4 club.

So perhaps the fact he's crap has saved us all that prolonged agro :lolol:

He’d be gone quicker than Ben White !

My point is it’s all about progression surely. The ‘golden’ examples provided all didn’t turn into the goal machines we expect until 24/25 - and AC scored 5 more PL goals than Zamora managed at the same age

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Last season may have been about lack of scorer because missed so many chances. This year more about team play/formation. Just never look like scoring. I would guess if Kane was playing for us now he would score not much more then 10 goals

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Last season may have been about lack of scorer because missed so many chances. This year more about team play/formation. Just never look like scoring. I would guess if Kane was playing for us now he would score not much more then 10 goals

Though to be fair we’ve largely played well and been nearer the top than bottom, so somethings gone right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I will always believe that would have read 'underrated and too good for us', had he been given the luxury of a Ben White upbringing.

Another casualty of the club's striker blindspot.
More of a blindspot of when to send Connolly out on loan - should have gone on loan 18 months - two years ago................. and there are plenty of us on here for whom that is not hindsight!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He’d be gone quicker than Ben White !

My point is it’s all about progression surely. The ‘golden’ examples provided all didn’t turn into the goal machines we expect until 24/25 - and AC scored 5 more PL goals than Zamora managed at the same age

Wise words.

Strikers need a lot of time to master their craft.

There are not many youngsters scoring freely in the EPL. I currently think of Southampton’s Armstrong & Brentford’s Toney as two great examples of when an EPL club has let their players go too early, thinking that they are destined for the Football League, only to find they flourish when they get to early/mid 20’s.

Connolly is still astonishingly young.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
More of a blindspot of when to send Connolly out on loan - should have gone on loan 18 months - two years ago................. and there are plenty of us on here for whom that is not hindsight!

:shrug:

That's what I wrote.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Playing for Spurs and this season he has scored not much more than 10 PL goals for them (12)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here