Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What type of person are you? (It might be used in evidence against you?)

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
The harshest critics accuse the system of Confirmation bias and just another form of astrology. i.e. not accurate at all. The Forer effect may apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers–Briggs_Type_Indicator#Reliability

I think most of the test are poorly devised. Secondly, the people organising the tests don't know what they are doing. So what seems like a good idea in theory, in practice is a bit crappy.

It forms only a tiny part of a psychology degree (hearsay from an employment psychologist). A few years ago it played absolutely no part in recruitment (human relations hearsay) but it is gaining mainstream use (hearsay from the same person two years later).

Interesting.
Yes i can see a lot of confirmation bias, we all have all characteristics at times, how strong they are is the point i guess.
In the reasonably recent past i've had 3 people i know do this test, and it's been very accurate. I'm pretty impartial about this stuff, and it wasn't about me, so i could 'see' clearer without bias that it had 'worked', it didn't get everything correct, but it predicted the jobs of two of them for instance.

Another way the test fails i guess is mood, which can obviously change. Also our characters change over time with experiences. It's not set.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Interesting.
Yes i can see a lot of confirmation bias, we all have all characteristics at times, how strong they are is the point i guess.
In the reasonably recent past i've had 3 people i know do this test, and it's been very accurate. I'm pretty impartial about this stuff, and it wasn't about me, so i could 'see' clearer without bias that it had 'worked', it didn't get everything correct, but it predicted the jobs of two of them for instance.

Another way the test fails i guess is mood, which can obviously change. Also our characters change over time with experiences. It's not set.

Three pints of strong cider. It is still all ****ing weird.

I don't think we can change out of our natural selves.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Three pints of strong cider. It is still all ****ing weird.

I don't think we can change out of our natural selves.

Hehe.
I think it would have to have a big experience to change your 'natural' self suddenly, anything big enough to give you PTSD would do it is my guess.
Although a percentage of our character is down to brain physiology (around 40-50% depending on the characteristic -They've done some quite strange research on identical twins that were separated at birth to show this). So maybe that is kinda 'fixed', dunno, interesting stuff.

Jimmy Grimble

Used to be ENTP, now I am ENFP.. I looked through the details and it seems to have me pretty much bang on now....

I'm also ENFP.

What career are you in if you don't mind me asking? Or what jobs have you had?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I have done these a few times and at first I was INFJ but always close to INTJ. As I age I seem to have crossed a border and have been INTJ the last couple of times. Maybe a detached cynicism has taken over my caring and emotional side.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I'm also ENFP.

What career are you in if you don't mind me asking? Or what jobs have you had?

Hi Jimmy,
No not at all.. I am an IT guy, but more on support side of things.. Also a bit of IT Security and projects where I have been involved in making presentations etc..
Trying now to move towards IT project management.... What about you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here