The Ripple Effect

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've just spoken to a couple over 70 that still want me to go ahead with a partial bathroom refurb, they said they'd just stay in the living room..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Which is precisely what they want as it sells more papers

I don't think it actually does. It grabs people's attention, yes, but I don't think many people buy a paper off the back of it. More likely to get more 'clickbait-generated' views online though, admittedly.

Agree. The media has morphed into NSC.

Radio 5 is unlistenable. Today they have somebody who 'used to' have some role in goverment, fielding questions in a radio phone in. 'Will it help if I put a paper bag over my head*?'. During the news a major item was that 'Watford captain, Troy Deeney, and Bournmouth manager, Eddie How, both have stated the season should resume when it is possible to do so'. Who cares what they think? I want to know what Johnny Wark, former Ipswich star, thinks!

*In the interests of accuracy, I made that bit up. But it will happen**.

**No it wont. Fact.

Jim Yellowtie White had Muzza on Talkshite earlier (I saw a clip on the Twatter) and asked him what was going to happen. Now I love Glenn as a footballer, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to have an informed opinion or answer to that question :dunce:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
WTF :shrug:

I think this deserves a verse of Ppf's Brexit song

You're on your way, you're on your way
How will you get there?
You don't know
Where are you going?
No idea
All you know is that you're on your way

Because you are certainly 'on your way' (and very possibly over half way there already, but it's hard to be sure)

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Very accurate and precise arguments that really made me completely change my perspective. I no longer believe:
- that at this stage "facts" are hard to come by
- that "its just a flu" is less speculative than "lots could die"
- that it is difficult to force everyone to only post "facts" when a lot of people have a lot of "non-factual" thoughts and beliefs

Thank you Watford zero for opening my mind, I now believe its entirely possible to change the meaning of NSC from "North Stand Chat" to "National Science Chat" and that everyone is willing and able to adjust to this immediatly.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very accurate and precise arguments that really made me completely change my perspective. I no longer believe:
- that at this stage "facts" are hard to come by
- that "its just a flu" is less speculative than "lots could die"
- that it is difficult to force everyone to only post "facts" when a lot of people have a lot of "non-factual" thoughts and beliefs

Thank you Watford zero for opening my mind, I now believe its entirely possible to change the meaning of NSC from "North Stand Chat" to "National Science Chat" and that everyone is willing and able to adjust to this immediatly.

You are welcome. It's just that I feel it is my responsibility as part of my charity work, to educate, inform and bring harmony where there is discord :thumbsup:

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I suppose this also includes theories (or speculation as you call it) that could lessen the sense of danger and thus make people less careful?

Either way this needs to be enforced if its going to happen since people dont speculate (theorize) out of joy but because of the urge - the need - to express thoughts regardless if they are considered facts by the Truth Ministry or not.

This "rule" would mean we cant talk about possible development of the pandemic, possible cures, possible dates for vaccines and so on, since all of this is speculative at this point. The only talk we could have about it is personal experiences and numbers of dead (numbers of infected is a no-no since we dont have facts though I guess "confirmed cases" would be alright).

I see that many believes your idea to be a good one just like the idea of working out every day is a good one, but its pretty difficult to see it happen in reality unless mods really enforce it. "Only facts" means that if someone asks "Hi I was thinking about licking every door knob in the city, you think thats a good idea?" it would be impossible to answer since there is (likely) no scientific study about what factually happens to you if you do.

Granted, perhaps it would be nice with a "Coronavirus - FACTS ONLY" thread or a "Coronavirus - wild speculation" thread but bf Im not sure what difference it would make when so much at this point is unknown and a lot of "facts" contradict eachother.

I tried to understand the point(s) you are making, but my head started to hurt!!

I'll just put it down as you not agreeing with my post/point of view, and that's absolutely fine :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've just spoken to a couple over 70 that still want me to go ahead with a partial bathroom refurb, they said they'd just stay in the living room..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

As long as they have strong bladders, it sounds like a result to me. I'd take my own flask though :wink:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Think this is good advice. So good it should be made compulsory for the mainstream media in fact. As is always the case, the images selected for publication are chosen to reflect the slant of the story. Under normal circumstances this often doesn't matter. But this is different. Show empty shelves, get more empty shelves. Show supermarket queues, get more supermarket queues. Mainstream media could really do with trying to tone things down a bit IMHO

I think this is quite restrained. The media and the internet in general has created mass hysteria. I am very keen to follow the enquiries on the effects of media editorials and reporting, and social media posts, once this has all died down. I hope some people are held seriously accountable for some of the images, language and simple exciteable lack of control displayed during this period.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think this is quite restrained. The media and the internet in general has created mass hysteria. I am very keen to follow the enquiries on the effects of media editorials and reporting, and social media posts, once this has all died down. I hope some people are held seriously accountable for some of the images, language and simple exciteable lack of control displayed during this period.

This. A big danger now is that because the government have committed to having a daily press conference, the media hysteria is whipping up a situation whereby the government feel the need to introduce new measures on a daily basis, whether the numbers justify those measures or not. Dangerous cycle to get into. Under the circumstances, the general population is acting in a reasonably restrained manner, despite being bombarded with this shit in an irresponsible manner by the media 24/7. As you say, serious questions will need to be asked when this blows over, which it will

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well I think I seen just about everything when I see an elephant fly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports